How do you back up images

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
05 February 2016 11:55
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi All
I interested to know how you back up your images please? I shoot a lot and it be good to get know with even bigger sensor size come out! I know the how long a peace off string! lol

Do you use External hard drives? What size would you go for?

DVD normal or the Gold version? Or Blue ray?

Or do you do both?

Thanks

Brian

AGS is off-line
05 February 2016 12:05
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

People use all the above and more, some use 64GB USB Keys even. For myself I put everything on an external hard drive, and use a same size drive to back that up should something happen to wipe out that archive of work.

You will probably never see it as common sense or worth the investment, until you lose the hard drive - it usually costs a lot more to recover it, if it's possible at all. In instances where the platter has to be removed (fire usually) you'd be looking at over £1000. I can rescue on a limited number of issues for less than half that. Makes far more sense to spend £80 on a 2nd backup drive. If you can afford it, you might even want to use a large cloud service.

Colin H is off-lineSilver Member
05 February 2016 12:37
thelook
Photographer
thelook
Berkshire

I opened a photobox account to sell my images. Once uploaded its free storage. Also have a couple of 2Tb usb3 external hard drives
When the world whispers 'give up, a fool will say 'I'll give it one more try'.....

Steve Walsh is off-line
05 February 2016 14:14
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

I back up every shoot to a DVD. I also save them to my computer HDD, and to a separate computer HDD in a different building. I also save them to an external HDD. Finally, they go on iCloud too.
I should also say that some edited images are saved on various internet sites, such as Dropbox temporarily, and Flickr too.

Johnathon is off-line
05 February 2016 18:51
Johnathons
Photographer

Birmingham

I have a NAS drive and 2 seperate portable drive

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 February 2016 03:27
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

DVDs of RAW files immediately after shoot (I don't even look at the images)
Don't wipe memory cards until you're 100% confident all backups are made and are successful
Everything stored on a mirrored NAS which is backed up to two separate external drives
Finished shoots (fully edited) are then also backed up to DVD / BluRay

Golden rules for backups:
- keep multiple copies, preferably on various media (which can also include different hard drives) in case the media may be part of a bad batch
- do so regularly
- refresh old backups from time to time (CDs, DVDs, BR and hard drives can all fail over time)
- preferably keep copies in multiple locations
- always use checks on copies (ie. CRC checks) to ensure the backups have worked
- have a good, clear strategy for how to go about this, backup/synchronisation software can help with copying files (copying only what's needed and verifying through CRC checks)
- never trust flash media as it can wipe itself over time, and I personally don't trust tapes (in all the years/companies I've worked at, tapes have never worked successfully)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
07 February 2016 06:53
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Thanks for all the feed back guys great help!

Brian

Darrin Henry Photography is off-lineSilver Member
07 February 2016 18:02
darrinhenry
Photographer
darrinhenry
London
London

Two ext hard drives, 2TB each. One is labelled Master or Primary the other is Slave/Secondary. All work saved to Master then to Slave. Like AndyG mentioned, you tend not to realise the importance of a good backup system until you lose data. I'm also quite paranoid about handling drives carefully, no knocks or sudden impacts. Also, from experience, always disconnect USB device correctly. Cheers
Darrin Henry Photography

Aegean is off-line
09 February 2016 04:47
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

1TB Buffalo RAID5 Terastation NAS backing up to a 2nd identical unit and then backed up again via my network to a 2TB RAID 5 Terastation in another part of the house which itself backs up to a 2TB USB drive. Belts and braces!
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

diipii is off-line
14 February 2016 10:54
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

On an external hard drive for temporary use and a CD for archive.
It only happens all the time.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sarah75
fineartbysimon photofrank Thestarglider Willjamieson