modjo30 is off-line
25 January 2016 06:50
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

Quote from RedChecker
I believe a large portion of the licence fee actually goes to major sporting events (Olympics, World Cup etc. which cost hundreds of £millions for the rights to broadcast) and so scrapping the licence fee would inevitably remove these from being free to view.

The fee is for the BBC only, yes if they bid for tv rights then it will go towards that but for the world cup in 2018 and 2022, the tv rights is being shared between BBC and ITV,
the fee has nothing to do with ITV and yes they have adverts but they only have adverts during half time anyway so it doesn't really make any difference, it's still free to view

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 January 2016 07:34
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'm well aware the license doesn't cover ITV. None the less, removing BBC (as 'free' channel) will simply divert more coverage to advert-based and/or subscription services.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Wimbledon exclusively BBC?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

AGS is off-line
25 January 2016 09:29
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Not good value if you don't like watching sports though. If the license fee payers fund the making of tv programmes, would it be fair to expect that back in some form when Auntie Beeb sells these shows to someone else? If you look at the structure of fee and collection (including but not limited to methods of collection via harassment) it's no different to the classic american gangster protection racket. Also, IF the assertion is correct, and you pay to NOT get adverts ? why do you get adverts ? - no no not like that, for their own programmes and products... it's still an advert between shows (a bit picky I know, but still a valid observation.) Remember the Channel 5 signal blockers?.. if you did that for the beeb, and did not receive any of their services, do you still pay? because that would be like McDonalds charging you for food you don't eat and didn't ask for in the first place. It's a general license they tell you, for any incoming live broadcast signal. So, why are the Beeb / TvLicensing / Capita allowed to collect monies on behalf of independent companies... and just... keep it?

28 Million of licence fee payers money was paid out in gagging orders over the Jimmy Saville incidents - does that constitute - fair use? Has anyone here looked into the expenses for people at the beeb? I would hope so, it's funded by the license payers... if you think the MP scandal was bad, you're in for a shock.

The British Broadcasting Company was founded by John Reith to broadcast radio throughout the UK with the guiding motto “Independent British broadcaster able to educate, inform and entertain the whole nation, free from political interference and commercial pressure.” The intent behind charging for a licence was, and indeed still is, to keep broadcasting completely free from the need for advertisers and as a result, avoid bias in its programming.

No bias in it's programming - OMG - really... lol wheese o' the week that one.

Lastly, beware entrapment: It used to be on iPlayer that it provided preprogrammed content. In case you didn't see it they added a TV button to the menu which streams live shows as they are broadcast (their choice). If you hit up the iPlayer site now, can access it from your phone, can call it up as a website on your PC (despite a pc not being classed as broadcast receiving equipment) even if you don't use it or watch it... you are required (read: requested) by law to purchase a licence. So even if you have internet and don't watch tv, you're still ƒucked.

It's like buying your food for you, and force-feeding it to you a-la foie gras, weather you want it... or not, in order to extort money from you regardless... and they say this is good value for money.

26 January 2016 06:16
paule
Photographer

I happily pay the fee, the radio is still excellent: 6 music & 5 Live.. I may have differing or opposing views on some of their reports & style of reporting.. though it's far better than the independents..

I think it's excellent value for the quality programs (and rubbish* like EastEnders, Don't Tell The Bride, Strictly, Bake Off ..that I don't watch, *other opinions may differ) however even though their investigative journalism may be more tabloid tattle than insightful and forensic these days it's still better than the corporate sponsored tub thumping that we have from many other media sources..

Entertainment.. they are still create quality though there is much mind numbing dross too: BBC3, EastEnders..

Sport.. almost all sold off, we just get scraps of quality: tennis in July, Olympics every 4 years as with Football Euro's & WC.. though the radio coverage is generally excellent.

A publicly funded, public broadcaster should be free of ALL political interference.. it should be excellent and insightful as well as entertaining.. if we can just get the political parasites to leave well alone (obviously not in their interest to have their skeletons washed in public ;-)

A publicly funded BBC is, or should be, in the publics interest and if we can get that back.. more than happy to continue paying a fee..

Jerry is off-line
26 January 2016 07:13
JerryG
Photographer

Essex

The BBC is pretty much the best thing about the country, and certainly the only news source that is remotely trustworthy. The website is excellent, the children's channels are superb and the radio is the best in the world. The license fee is an absolute bargain, and what I pay for Sky is a total rip-off by comparison.

Andy is off-line
26 January 2016 15:26
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Quote from JerryG
The BBC is pretty much the best thing about the country, and certainly the only news source that is remotely trustworthy. The website is excellent, the children's channels are superb and the radio is the best in the world. The license fee is an absolute bargain, and what I pay for Sky is a total rip-off by comparison.

Yes, but you can choose to pay for Sky !
lets get shootin

AGS is off-line
26 January 2016 15:38
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Quote from photostore
Yes, but you can choose to pay for Sky !

BOOM, and there it is

Since they assume everyone is a criminal if they don't pay Auntie Beeb for making their services so prevalent that they are hard to avoid in the first place, wouldn't it be better to put the bludgeons away and just add the tax to everyones wage ? like NI and Income Tax ? It would only be about 3 quid a week ! or... a pint of mild

diipii is off-line
04 February 2016 19:15
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

The Beeb should keep its fee if they:

Ditch all TV channels except 1 & 2
Ditch all reality shows.
Ditch all celeb shows.
Put their cash into the best new comedy and drama writers.
Keep only Radio 1, 3 and 4
Bring their news HQ back to London.

They should really keep their fee anyway or it'll be adverts wall to wall everywhere.

It only happens all the time.

Profile Pictures is off-line
04 February 2016 23:38
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Like your knees, you'll miss it when it's gone. With Fox and Sky dangerously close to becoming one whilst the government act as assassins of the Beeb on behalf of interests thinly veiled, tye while,situation is on the brink of disaster.

JCLPhotography is off-line
08 February 2016 03:06
jackcalling
Photographer

London

Advert free TV. If nothing else. Then some attempt at political balance the fantastic Iplayer. And we all have to pay for things we don't use. I Have private dentistry and private education for my children but I still pay the tax that pays for those things. Suck it up. It's being part of society.

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa ElleLaura fernandarevelo glamourdolly Kacie
AClarkePhoto aprilscherz3 Arterotica bayford chicimages Elegant_element hylander mamamiya mlp oro psn Thunder_Photos trouble72
Matt