Windows issues

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
25 December 2015 19:28
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Just signed back in after nearly a week off line,Still getting suggestions i update my unapproved W7pro which i decline and then laptop operates as before apart from a black screen instaed of windows screen...Ive heard that if a user fails to use windows your more open to viruses/malware etc etc....not sure if correct...Im in process of moving so when settled ill upgrade,no point at min, thanks for all input....

Glen Foster is off-line
25 December 2015 20:21
FosterPhoto
Photographer

Essex
Colchester

Firstly W7 will eventually become unsupported which means if there is a problem with your pic or laptop you would not get Microsoft support. I had a laptop with W7 installed from a genuine disk, I gave my old tower to my mother in law which had the same w7 disk. The laptop came up with the genuine error message because I had used the same disk on two machines.

When I tried to buy another w7 disk from Microsoft my laptop wanted to update to w10. As w10 is free software I was able to do the upgrade without any cost. I have to say I am an IT professional and the thought of w10 horrified me! However I am pls entry surprised with it. You would need to run a w10 compatibility test to make sure your machine can take w10.

If you do not like the sound of this my advice is to purchase the w7 disk from the Microsoft site, I have purchase slightly cheaper disks in the past to then get the fatal error several months later.

Happyntombuoldmyou a new pc if you need one.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Glen

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
26 December 2015 07:16
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Thanks for your input glen.....much apreciated

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
27 December 2015 07:07
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
Windows 7 is superb (I've got two machines running it) and would love to know if there's a way to stop them pestering me to 'upgrade' (I use that term lightly) with that naff icon that keeps appearing.

Yes the pestering is very annoying. And the fact that Windows 7 has not been properly updated for at least 6 weeks is very concerning.

Are we being given an option or are we being forced into downloading Windows 10?

Having said that, I have taken the plunge and downloaded Windows 10. So far everything seems ok. laugh
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
27 December 2015 11:43
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from redbaron
Cortana, or whatever they call it is really quite horrifying. Everything you type. Every search you do. Every word said in front of this updated Microsoft paperclip is forwarded to Microsoft in the guise of being able to offer a better service. For those using it Microsoft will  quickly know more about them than their own partners. More than even a good PA would be trusted with.

It's not different than Google or Apple Siri. Just pick your poison.

27 December 2015 11:45
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from Ladiesman
And the fact that Windows 7 has not been properly updated for at least 6 weeks is very concerning.

There is a "Patch Tuesday" every 2nd Tuesday of the month.

27 December 2015 12:52
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from PHP_Photography
There is a "Patch Tuesday" every 2nd Tuesday of the month.

I wish I had known that sooner indecision
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

29 December 2015 04:06
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I have Windows 10 of my old laptop. It does seem to have given it a bit of life and it seems ok. However, I downloaded Windows 10 onto my PC a couple of days ago and had problem after problem. Needless to say I have restored Windows 7.

Everything worked fine when I 1st installed Windows 10. Problems started after I switch my computer off and then turned it back on again. My antivirus had stopped working, windows mail would not open, I had to keep recalibrating my display every time I restarted my computer etc.

I found it to be a step backwards from Windows 7.

It's also worth noting that most businesses have not upgraded to Windows 10.

All in all I would say that I have had bits of malware on my computer in the past that have been less of a problem than Windows 10.

I suspect Windows 10 is a one size fits all solution. What if you haven't got a standard PC....

29 December 2015 12:03
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from Ladiesman
What if you haven't got a standard PC....

No such thing as a standard PC.

G Jack B is off-line
31 December 2015 10:24
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

I have updated over 20 users to win 10 - ONLY issue I have found is that windows " mail" stops working and cannot be exported over easily. Other wise the only issues is with web based programs and that dont work with edge so the user reverts to using previous IE.
Win 8 was a pain, Win 8.1 was ok, Win 10 is fine...
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Charlotte90 DareMeDD ElleLaura kategrimsby RoxyMendez Stephieb27 Winterlilly
azurphotos BOBREEVES chicimages Dave@studio99 Essexjohn jamesboswell nickdandalos redmedia robhillphoto siclews simon007 skymouse sniffer Studio1 Willjamieson