Reminder Secure

Negative filing index

Nick Skinner is off-line
29 October 2015 15:45
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

Any suggestions of software for my Mac that I could use to make a comprehensive filing system for thousands of old negatives? My only requirement is that it will search in all fields, not just the name field. They are currently all entered in a ledger, which was a revelation has how quick and convenient it was to find most things, but cross filing would obviously be an asset.

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
30 October 2015 03:20
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Do you plan to have a digital thumbnail or just text. If the former then Lightroom would work. Just add the details to the metadata of the thumbnails and make the folder hierarchy match that of your storage system Common details for a batch of negatives can be entered in bulk on import.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Nick Skinner is off-line
30 October 2015 03:50
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

I must admit I was thinking text only, but am also planning to make the necessary switch from Aperture to Lightroom. However I am reluctant to scan all the negatives as to scan to a usable image size would take so long, and only very occasionally could I ever imagine needing these images for any commercial purpose. Yes common sense tells me that I would be better off just disposing of them, however I just can not bring myself to do that.

PeterB is off-lineGold Member
30 October 2015 14:36
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Surrey
Hampton Court

Filemaker Pro... very easy to use and on a BOGOF deal at the moment (sorry BOGOTAF buy one give one to a friend )

Can set up a simple database very easily or adapt one of the templates... will also handle images and clips, I use for a props database (with pics)

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
31 October 2015 03:16
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from snapper47
I must admit I was thinking text only, but am also planning to make the necessary switch from Aperture to Lightroom. However I am reluctant to scan all the negatives as to scan to a usable image size would take so long, and only very occasionally could I ever imagine needing these images for any commercial purpose. Yes common sense tells me that I would be better off just disposing of them, however I just can not bring myself to do that.

I was not suggesting a full scan. That seems pointless unless there is a high chance of a sale from them. either just a thumbnail 'contact' scan to help confirm the image or a scan of the contact prints for the set. well aware that could be quite a task though.

What about one of the many Photographic CMS systemsavailable? I used LightBLue for my studio. That could be a bit expensive for what you need but there is Studio Cloud, which is free and fotoSF light that is often on offer though a bit tired now.

You could simply set up your negatives as retrospective shoots then adapt the functions to suit yourself. Lightblue for example allows custom dates and text. Tabs, shoot list (Could easily be a list of the negatives yoiu have) All of this would then be fully searchable using quite a powerful query engine. You could even browse by date using the Calendar.

I'm not so familiar with Studio Cloud but I'm told it is also pretty good, though looks a bit fussier from a quick glance.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
DareMeDD ElleLaura kategrimsby LunaDaze RoxyMendez VictoriaClaire
antoinewynn diphoto dorrian hardik79 hjphoto iDubai2018 jimbob Kjoservices malross74 MIB normant orca_photography read redbaron rod_m99 siclews skymouse stevebenson Thunder_Photos zzdigital