Reminder Secure

camera recommendations please

Moorlane is off-line
02 October 2015 18:52
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

My niece is starting a photography course at college and my sister needs to buy her a camera.Can I ask for recommendations for where the search for a suitable camera might start ...and new or second hand? Thanks

Profile Pictures is off-line
03 October 2015 03:54
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Best reliable second hand is from WEX in Norwich. Check online in their second hand, try it in-shop if you like or rely on postal and good returns policy. They have a canon 5d in this morning at £215 which is a sound full frame choice for image quality. Couple it with the 50mm f1.8 mk2 @£50 and you've a set up which in many situations will take brilliant pictures. I'm assuming budget is am issue, but wex have plenty of variety.

Should have added - 12 months warranty on wex s/h

Moorlane is off-line
03 October 2015 08:30
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Thanks for taking the trouble to recommend .Any more thoughts from anyone? Cheers

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
03 October 2015 13:24
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Does the course not give some indication on the kit required? I  always had excellent service from WEX, including when things went wrong so I think they are a good option.

In terms of camera I would strongly suggest she tries to borrow a few or at least handle them in a shop somewhere. To me the most important thing is you feel comfortable with your Kit. I shoot Canon. It suits me and I like the control setup. Another may find Nikon feels better in there hands. I also know of women photographers who have given up both for Olympus because their cameras are so much lighter.

In short the camera is just a box to catch the light. All i would suggest is.
  • Make sure it has manual options for settings.
  • Go for an SLR initially as you will then feel comfortable with most cameras you will end up using
  • Put your money into good lenses. You could end up using them a lifetime.
  • Make sure it has a hotshoe and traditional flash sync if possible (Some Sony cameras have bespoke fitting)
  • Check the USB port works. Canon 5DII ones are prone to get trashed it seems (for tethered shooting)
for Lenses if you go for Primes 50mm is a solid workhorse, 80-100mm about right for portrait type work. My go to lens is the Canon L series 24-100. (Well there abouts before someone comes back saying they don't do one - I use it to earn money not as a bragging piece)
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Moorlane is off-line
04 October 2015 17:33
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Many thanks.I have asked her to enquire at the college so that she has some idea what she wants.In the meantime she can practice on my old 10D !

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 October 2015 02:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Moorlane
In the meantime she can practice on my old 10D !

That should be fine.  Until she's aware of what everything does, even she won't know what she wants out of a camera yet.  And depending on the slant of the course, they're more interested in things like composition that absolute quality.

That said, a prime like the cheapie 50mm f1.8 would be a godsend as it is one of the few cheap lenses that give a noticeable result when you change aperture on crop bodies (the kit lenses like 18-55 for example are already so 'dark' as to show little change when adjusting aperture).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

modjo30 is off-line
05 October 2015 13:02
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

Well firstly i'd go to a shop and physically hold a Canon and a Nikon (possibly Sony)to find out what feels best to her, i personally did that and liked the feel of the Nikon and where the buttons were, i find they feel more solid than Canon's, and then a good second hand source like WEX in their used section

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa indiaxxx kacie
bbphotos Cheshunt83 cliffc dazglam ellessephotography fineartbysimon geoffmarchant jonathantennant Jyp Kjoservices Ladiesman lify nickdandalos p4pFetography parafotos redbaron Reynard Thunder_Photos