Reminder Secure

2 quick questions.

30 August 2015 14:05
KJL42
Photographer

Hi all,
I just bought a secondhand 40D from a local photography shop, but they told me there is no way of knowing the shutter count. I have been looking online though, and everybody seems to know their own. So, my question is......how do I find out the shutter count please?
Also, it came with software discs, so I can download the software, but it will want me to register I guess. What will it ask for? Serial number of the camera etc? Will this be ok if it has already been registered by its previous owner?
Any help appreciated cheeky

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
30 August 2015 14:41
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

For Mac, from the appstore there is a programme, called shuttercount, surprise, think it was £2.99, which allows you to plug the camera usb lead in and it will give you shutter count, as well as serial number of the camera.But I'm pretty sure the camera has to have a Digic 4 or later processor, not sure what the 40D is but I think it might be prior to Digic 4, so what I've said about Shuttercount, will not apply, if so apologies.

You don't have to register the discs you can just install the software and as long as you have a version of the software installed you can update but I don't think you can just download the updates alone, you have to have the 'starter' original installed.

30 August 2015 15:48
KJL42
Photographer

Thanks for your help. I am trying to upload an image to shuttercount now, but it keeps timimg out.
I will install the software then, and update
Thanks for replying. Appreciated

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
31 August 2015 01:36
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

My understanding (or at least with older Canon bodies) was that shutter count could not be read from consumer-grade cameras.

Out of interest, I'm looking at the EXIF of some of my Canon 6D images (DIGIC 5+) and even that's not forthcoming with shutter count (although it's still classed as a consumer camera).

I use this for EXIF checking: http://regex.info/exif.cgi
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

31 August 2015 07:04
KJL42
Photographer

I managed to get the count by downloading 'eosinfo' from a website. I then hooked up the camera to the pc, and it showed 55k shutter clicks.
Some consider this not many (100k life expectancy), but it seems a lot to me. I don't shoot often now, so it may last me for years (well looked after it seems, from condition). You just never know though.
I think the camera has to be digic III onwards (in most cases). It wouldn't work on a 400D for example.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
31 August 2015 07:17
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

EOS count (www.eoscount.com) will do it (Works from digic III), I did it for mine just before I sold it, had 8,621 clicks. Works on Mac as well as PC (internet explorer 32bit)

31 August 2015 07:31
KJL42
Photographer

Do you think 55k is high? I suppose these 40D's are quite old now, but they are raved about by their owners/ex owners (even now).
I am a bit annoyed that the shop said there was no way of finding out, but I managed it within hours. These people have been dealing in new and used for years!

Paul Hodson is off-line
31 August 2015 07:56
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from KJL42
Do you think 55k is high? I suppose these 40D's are quite old now, but they are raved about by their owners/ex owners (even now). I am a bit annoyed that the shop said there was no way of finding out, but I managed it within hours. These people have been dealing in new and used for years!

They might have managed it had it only had 5000 clicks.......................... 
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

31 August 2015 08:06
KJL42
Photographer

Hmmmmm. Would you let your views be known to the shop? I would have certainly asked for more off than I managed to get. They generally fetch about £150/160 on Ebay. I got the battery grip (2 batteries) with it though, and 6 mths (I think) warranty. Excellent condition, almost like new, for £200. Not sure I would have bought it though with 55k on it.

ukphotosbycolin is off-line
06 September 2015 11:54
UKcolin
Photographer
UKcolin
Greater Manchester
Manchester

A friend had a shutter go down on a 40d and he had a new one fitted when he told Canon they say good for 100,000 actuations on thier website. just check it out for peace of mind.
Have a good Day, UKcolin

9 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AliceStar modelstuff Shsksjsns
alexcrawford Auctioneer PototoMonroe rscott360 tonycsm Vinceb