New Studio in Milton Keynes - Opinions Welcome

TheStudioMK is off-line
17 August 2015 02:32
TheStudioMK
Photographer
TheStudioMK
Buckinghamshire
Milton Keynes

So many moons ago I used to run my own studio based in my 4 bedroom townhouse... I am contiplating doing it again, this time from a luxury 2 bedroom apartment. So a real lifestyle studio... would offer 2 bedrooms to shoot from, a bathroom, a shower room, a living room and a kitchen...

I guess my question is... is there much demand for such a studio ? We're based in Milton Keynes, which as every one knows is the centre of the universe... easy access on the mainline train, or the M1...

Opinions welcome, especially those telling me what you guys (the photographers) and you girls (the models) would like in a studio...

Beaverray is off-lineSilver Member
17 August 2015 10:43
beaverray
Photographer
beaverray
Cambridgeshire

I for one would certainly be interested as those shooting areas fit well with the type of shoots I often need to do plus MK is well placed as you say.

marlham is off-line
17 August 2015 11:15
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Sounds like a mate's flat with sea view I occasionally use in Folkestone. The trouble with it is you can only do so many shoots there before everything starts to look and feel repetitive. Hire rates would be key too - there's some very nice penthouse photoshoot locations available which work out around £25 an hour so that might restrict what you can charge significantly.

Spike is off-line
18 August 2015 05:27
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Some appartment locations do work well, though one photgrapher associate who tried a similar venture got closed down by the freeholder of the appartment block since he was in breach of several clauses in the lease.

As a side note Purestorm only allow the advertising of studios run from legitimate commercial premises, so the OP would have to find alterntive sites to advertise it.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

18 August 2015 08:30
immortaleye
Studio

If it is a flat then I presume it will be leasehold so you will need to check the lease agreement, particularly if it is a common entrance. I know if I was living in a flat complex I would be less than amused about having strangers turning up all times of the day. I'm pretty sure they will not assume them to be photographers and models.

To answer your question though I doubt it. We are hardly inundated with enquirers and I have A dedicated fully equipped studio that is probably bigger than your flat. True I don't really push it that much for hire but I can't see hiring someones flat would be good for more than one or two shoots for most photographers.

Trust you are not painting the wall magnolia this time
Immortaleye photography studio is available for hire in Aylesbury Bucks.

TheStudioMK is off-line
19 August 2015 06:43
TheStudioMK
Photographer
TheStudioMK
Buckinghamshire
Milton Keynes

Quote from beaverray
I for one would certainly be interested as those shooting areas fit well with the type of shoots I often need to do plus MK is well placed as you say.

OK Mate I will be sure to keep you informed... I have spoke with Admin on here about having a separate profile for the studio as well to promote it... so if it does all go ahead will be on here to view as well

TheStudioMK is off-line
19 August 2015 06:47
TheStudioMK
Photographer
TheStudioMK
Buckinghamshire
Milton Keynes

Quote from marlhamphoto
Sounds like a mate's flat with sea view I occasionally use in Folkestone. The trouble with it is you can only do so many shoots there before everything starts to look and feel repetitive. Hire rates would be key too - there's some very nice penthouse photoshoot locations available which work out around £25 an hour so that might restrict what you can charge significantly.

I agree the location is limited to a degree, and will need a element of creativity to expand options... however I would say no more so than most studios... I stopped using Studios about 6 years ago, when I was continuelly disapointed at the scene options and space available... most studios use in my opinion clever photography to make their studios look bigger... but alas this is rarely the case, and most have very dated decour as well...

I would be very interested to see these "penthouse" options at £25 a hour... as I am always looking for locations myself, but usually find these types of places very expensive... especially thoughs in London, but they hey every thing is extra expensive in London

We would work on pricing and make it as competative as possible, but whilst also realising it does need to be profitable...

TheStudioMK is off-line
19 August 2015 06:50
TheStudioMK
Photographer
TheStudioMK
Buckinghamshire
Milton Keynes

Quote from Spike
Some appartment locations do work well, though one photgrapher associate who tried a similar venture got closed down by the freeholder of the appartment block since he was in breach of several clauses in the lease. As a side note Purestorm only allow the advertising of studios run from legitimate commercial premises, so the OP would have to find alterntive sites to advertise it.

We intend to be totally transparent with the company we chose, we already have ongoing working relationships with two of the companies in MK who know what we use the apartments for Best to be up front and honest, so you don't end up getting kicked out...

And I find your comment about PureStorm only allowing stuff run from a commercial property a little weird... I did speak to PureStorm admin about my idea, and they didn't seem to have any issues with it :/ To me as long as you are running an accredited company, and we are a limited company... I don't see any issues where we set our business up... :/

TheStudioMK is off-line
19 August 2015 07:00
TheStudioMK
Photographer
TheStudioMK
Buckinghamshire
Milton Keynes

Quote from immortaleye
If it is a flat then I presume it will be leasehold so you will need to check the lease agreement, particularly if it is a common entrance. I know if I was living in a flat complex I would be less than amused about having strangers turning up all times of the day. I'm pretty sure they will not assume them to be photographers and models. To answer your question though I doubt it. We are hardly inundated with enquirers and I have A dedicated fully equipped studio that is probably bigger than your flat. True I don't really push it that much for hire but I can't see hiring someones flat would be good for more than one or two shoots for most photographers. Trust you are not painting the wall magnolia this time

As I mentioned in a previous post above, the companys we already work with are fully aware of what we do... if it was a new company we chose they would likewise be made fully aware of what we do... It is my intention for the first 6 months to rent a property, then I will re evaluate the business, and if things are going well look to buy a property.

The situation with managed apartments in Milton Keynes is they really are not populated by individuals, they are mostly used by business types who travel in and out and use Milton Keynes, so it's not familys that may be dismayed by scantily clad girls running around.

Also to clarify, I am not familiar with your studio but I am sure it is kick ass... however I do feel that Milton Keynes really is a great location, as I have stated on the main railway line, 35 mins direct from London (Euston) just over a hour from Birmingham and Manchester... We're J14 on the M1, so ideally placed. The apartment would be a luxury apartment with a real fresh modern lifestyle look, offering itself to a wide and varied range of shoots... We have full Elinchrome Studio lighting, and Arri Junior lighting specifically for video... so as far as a fully equiped studio goes, we tick the relevent box's... I know there of course will be bigger places with more, for example I am friends with Chris from Unique Capture in Milton Keynes, but for the style of shoots I do, and a lot of people on here... studios like that don't really work.

We will have Canon Eos Camera's available for people who want to hire a camera, and also a Sony Z5E HD Video camera available too... We have an extensive wardrobe that the models will be able to use if needed. We will have a high speed (Infinity) internet connection, and a PC computer with full Adobe Suite available for people to use.

With two bathrooms (one being en suite to the master bedroom) and a fully functional kitchen to offer refreshments throughout the day... I think we have a pretty good location... to use a car anology, it's great having a Astin Martin, but some times a guy in a Insignia is the better driver... we have a very clear idea on what we want to do, and what we can offer... I have done this for 14 years, and I know the stuff I look for in a location... and alas to say I have rarely found it in a studio...

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
19 August 2015 08:26
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from TheStudioMK
As I mentioned in a previous post above, the companys we already work with are fully aware of what we do...

Steve, I suspect your biggest problem, as you are not a homeworker but a business with visiting trade, won't be with your clients but with any covenants on the building and with the local council, who will quite likely pounce on you for avoiding business rates and breaking building use licensing regulations if you openly advertise what you're up to.

As for your location in MK, it is probably no better or worse than that of the many 'adult industy' performers, not to mention a few madams and pimps, who advertise  homes as being studios on those portfolio and networking sites which allow that sort of thing so I suspect there might not be as much trade out there as you think.

Bob

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
infinitelizzy JodieEllen MissCaraJane
andygstudios Argentiq bbphotos BOBREEVES bradder chandos chicimages daseinphoto Dave@studio99 Daveinsurrey david1500 djb1 EdT Essexjohn GlasgowPhotographer Ianmcculloch James7799 JRFox Ladiesman liteangle magpie1 mamamiya markeos50d Matt1988 panda49 redbaron skymouse Sp_digital stevegosh Steveharratt Thunder_Photos
matt