Reminder Secure

Thread mount sizes for flash heads

20 July 2015 06:58
Catuaba
Photographer

I have a GENESIS 300B CALUMET FLASH HEAD. This is an old discon version and I have it mounted on a Portaflash LS1S stand which will not hold the weight of the head at all but the mount fits tight.

I need a decent stand to attach it to but calumet cant confirm the size of the thread mount that would fit as they discontented the light.

They have a stand at 10' 3m for £50 but I don't know if it will fit the genesis.

Anyone know what stand will definitely fit into the bottom hole of a 300b flash head? [/url]">

Razoir is off-line
20 July 2015 07:55
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

I would visit an old fashioned hardware store and see if you can find a bolt that fits. It will, probably, be either BSF or Whitworth thread and it is the thread pitch that will muck you about more than the diameter of the bolt. Once you know what fits, then you can specify that to Calumet or make your own little adaptor. Think laterally about the different clamps etc. that will fit onto lighting stands. There are many that grip the tube rather than screw on.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
20 July 2015 08:37
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Most flash heads take a fairly 'standard' stand fitting adaptor its a small brass insert that fits in the 'hole' under the handle, of your picture. The adaptor has female 1/4 thread one end and 3/8 the other. the 3/8 is usually the one that will screw onto the male thread of the lighting stand.
Probably, even easier, the top of the stand will fit in the' hole' and you lock it on with the screw you can see, the other side to the handle.

20 July 2015 11:10
Catuaba
Photographer

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/Calumet-10-3m-Compact-Light-Stand/MF6040

This is the one I would order now if I know it will fit.

It says 5/8 stud.

Do you reckon that would go on?

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
20 July 2015 13:45
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Looks a bit like the interfit & Bowen stands I have with just the one size thread at the top. You can get ones from Bessel that have a 'double' brass head with two threads to choose from. The heavier 3/8" one is what fits most studio flash units. The small 1/4" is for mounting cameras and camera strobes that use a much smaller thread.

Bessel stands

I've never encountered any other size.

If you do order a heavyweight stand from Bessel make sure that is what the buggers send you though. Last year I ordered a couple and they duly arrived, box all marked 'heavy duty' Only thing is I have bought two heavy duty stands from the a while before and regardless of what the box said they were not anything of the sort. Had them changed over with some cock and bull story about a mix up in the warehouse.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Paul Riddell is off-line
21 July 2015 04:06
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

As a rule virtually all 'normal' studio heads use a 3/8" spigot. Don't just use a bolt, as someone else suggested, the spigot is deigned with a certain shape to stop the heads falling off.

The 1/4" is mostly only used for cheap flashguns.

Then you also get spigots at 5/8" and 3/4" for very large HDMI units.

AS someone else said you can always get double ended spigots, plus you can buy spigot adapters.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

PeterB is off-lineGold Member
21 July 2015 23:49
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Surrey
Hampton Court

The normal way to mount this class of lighting to a stand is a 16mm (5/8") spigot, characterised by the ubiquitous Manfrotto 013 stud adaptor (http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/product/0/013/_/Adapter_Spigot) used on many of their stands and clamps.

The threaded bits at each end are largely irrelevant in this (studio flash heads) application... but are 1/4" (Whitworth), as found on the bottom of most smaller still cameras etc. or 3/8" (UNC) as found on many video camera wedges and tripods.

For larger lighting heads, Film/TV, there is a larger 28mm (1 1/4") spigot... (www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_G1193).

Surprised Calumet didn't know this.

Oscars Photostudio is off-line
22 July 2015 02:57
oscar
Photographer
oscar
Cheshire
Nr Warrington

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-3-8-Spigot-Stud-Adapter-Camera-Screw-for-Umbrella-Flash-Light-Tripod-/331508144838

This is the usual adaptor for most flash heads. Is there a locking screw in the side of the mount?
Maybe an image from below would help.

22 July 2015 04:20
Catuaba
Photographer

Well I went with the one from Bessel. And added a few extra attachment bits just encase. Flash head fit straight on and locked on tight and stand is solid and reasonably heavy duty. So job done. Fast delivery too. Cheers Redbaron.

Will is off-line
30 July 2015 05:00
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

The old Portaflash lights from Jessops had a non-standard size. Most other lights, as mentioned above, are of the same standard. That said, I have an Arri stand which has a longer distance to the recess in the spigot.
Where there's a Will, there's a way.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Actor_H alishaa emmaloux kacie mandymack RoxyMendez winX
bbphotos Bninja Domnumberone donaldmac humphries Ladiesman mike0048 moritz78 MrDL nickdandalos peterh redbaron rmi Shootonlocation TinDolls