Dave Beasley is off-line
22 June 2015 08:54
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi all,

Just bought a Canon EOS 1D-X and had two shoots so far.
Ist shoot - 250 images onto CF card 1 (RAW) and simultaneously onto CF card 2 (small jpeg)
Plugged card reader with CF card contacting RAW images into USB on MacPro, opened Lightroom 5 and started import as usual - appeared to be importing one file at a time and eventually took just over two hours to finish import in to LR.

Obviously not happy with this so used different make CF card for 2nd shoot.
150 images again RAW to CF1, small jpeg to CF2
Plugged CF1 (RAW) into card reader into USB on MacPro and started import into LR5 again. It imported 10 images then stopped with message "unable to recognise file format. 140 files not imported"

I then copied RAW files from CF card (in reader) straight to MacPro hard disk (no problem), opened Lightroom and imported/copied them into LR catalog without moving files - completed in a matter of minutes with no errors.

So at the moment, I am baffled and confused as to where the problem may lie - anyone else had any such issues with 1D-X and Lightroom?

Any useful suggestions appreciated.

Dave

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
22 June 2015 09:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

At first glance I'd have thought it could be a card reader problem (had this with newer cards & older readers in the past) but the fact that you've transferred the images to the hard disk without issue contradicts that.

Someone on this thread thinks it's a permissions issue as others have suffered it:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1400506
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Beasley is off-line
22 June 2015 09:28
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from RedChecker

Someone on this thread thinks it's a permissions issue as others have suffered it:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1400506

Yes! Everything the OP says is what I'm seeing - no solutions though, but somewhere to look - thanks.

22 June 2015 09:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'd personally rather copy to the hard drive anyway regardless of what system, at least then you know that no application's going to be doing things with the memory cards that you don't want while they're accessing it *

* - for example, if I use my memory cards from my camcorder and load them direct into Sony Vegas Pro, if memory servers me correctly it creates peak files for the audio and some other file for the video actually on the memory card.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Liteangle is off-lineSilver Member
23 June 2015 02:35
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Berkshire
Wokingham

Hi Dave,

Have you tried using the USB port on your camera to download them without using a card reader?

Alan

Dave Beasley is off-line
23 June 2015 04:27
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from Liteangle
Hi Dave,

Have you tried using the USB port on your camera to download them without using a card reader?

Alan

Hi Alan, no hadn't thought of that, will give it a go but will probably stick to Redchecker's suggestion of copying to HDD then simply adding to LR catalog.

Dave

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
23 June 2015 10:16
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from Liteangle
Hi Dave, Have you tried using the USB port on your camera to download them without using a card reader? Alan

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but is there any reason to use a card reader rather than download straight from camera? I always download this way and never had problems although I'm only using a canon 5D Mk1.
How hard can it be?

Liteangle is off-lineSilver Member
23 June 2015 11:12
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Berkshire
Wokingham

Quote from pompeytog
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but is there any reason to use a card reader rather than download straight from camera? I always download this way and never had problems although I'm only using a canon 5D Mk1.

Not at all, I'm sure Dave is keen to receive any constructive advice however I think you are suggesting the same solution as I am.

23 June 2015 11:17
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from pompeytog

Many don't like it because you're simply putting extra wear/tear on the batteries for the transfer.

Some cameras also have poor USB implementation and as such are quite slow at transferring files via USB.

Dave Beasley is off-line
23 June 2015 11:21
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Well, firstly thank you to you all for your replies, to answer the questions:

No there is no reason not to download directly from the camera, for some (unknown) reason I have always downloaded via a card reader.

So I have tried direct download and …….success! Imported the same 156 files from 1D-X into Lightroom and copied onto two HDD simultaneously in around 7 minutes - no failures, no hiccups.

After all that I have no idea of the reason, but am of course pleased camera is ok and have "learnt" of two new ways of getting files into LR

Thanks again for your help

Dave

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Faye MissCaraJane Sarahlou73 Winterlilly
bbphotos Cheshunt83 ElegantCaptures flawless_photo funky gerry99111 gordon hylander JRFox mamamiya Matt1988 orca_photography panda49 redbaron skymouse Swyftie TinDolls vincentm1980