Reminder Secure

What am I missing? Port review

17 June 2015 12:30
Dasvidanias
Model

Hi guys, would be good to hear some views on my portfolio
Ive got a bath and a wedding shoot booked, so that fills in some criteria for me!

What am I missing? What do i need to work on?
Would be good to get some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback!

17 June 2015 12:30
Dasvidanias
Model

Hi guys, would be good to hear some views on my portfolio
Ive got a bath and a wedding shoot booked, so that fills in some criteria for me!

What am I missing? What do i need to work on?
Would be good to get some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback!

Colin Pierce is off-line
17 June 2015 12:41
ColinPierce
Photographer
ColinPierce
Merseyside
Bootle

To be honest, the levels you have listed are reasonably covered by your portfolio. You have a good selection of shots from head shots, full length, studio and location. The only thing lacking is a lingerie shot as you have this in your levels. Nice portfolio that does not need much adding unless your levels change.

marlham is off-line
17 June 2015 14:51
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Your port looks more like a photographer's than a model's - too artsy, cranky and edited to get a reasonable idea of what you look like - overall shape etc.

And images don't conform to the styles listed - clothed isn't the same as fashion for example. And where's the lingerie?

I suspect you can do more than your port suggests. Better photographers would be my constructive suggestion - ones who can deliver impact to your port as a model rather than simply reflect any 'artistic' aspirations they might have in their photography.

Good luck

17 June 2015 17:57
Dasvidanias
Model

There's a few full length shots on here ( image allowance permitting) to show off my body type etc, and I do mainly work more on creative shoots, genuinely think its my hair as to why its mostly offered :l Im a little concerned about it coming off as a photographers port however
Could you expand a little bit more on that @marlhamphoto?

I definitely lack in lingerie, I've had trouble finding a preferred photographer for that level, as in I'm commonly contacted by those who actually want nude or glamour and genuinely aren't respectful to my levels :/ Ill try and mix lingerie in with the bath shoot, the idea was sheer clothing anyway but i know its something that is missing from my port.

And thankyou Colin Any suggestions are welcome

marlham is off-line
17 June 2015 19:04
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Dasvidanias
There's a few full length shots on here ( image allowance permitting) to show off my body type etc, and I do mainly work more on creative shoots, genuinely think its my hair as to why its mostly offered :l Im a little concerned about it coming off as a photographers port however Could you expand a little bit more on that @marlhamphoto? I definitely lack in lingerie, I've had trouble finding a preferred photographer for that level, as in I'm commonly contacted by those who actually want nude or glamour and genuinely aren't respectful to my levels :/ Ill try and mix lingerie in with the bath shoot, the idea was sheer clothing anyway but i know its something that is missing from my port. And thankyou Colin Any suggestions are welcome

There are no full length shots in your port which properly show your overall shape and proportions - because you're pulling cranky poses in them all. In a bigger port you might be able to lose them amongst more useful images but in a small port you really need to make best use of every slot.

What makes you think the images are creative - the addition of smoke and distracting editing effects? The most important part of the image on sites like this is you, the model. That's what cuts the mustard and no amount of 'artistic' or 'creative' effects are going to make up for any inadequacies in your modelling - or, more precisely, the photographer's inability to coax decent modelling from you or to shoot the style of photos needed in a model's port or to provide a suitable level of editing.

I have no doubt that you like the images - that seems evident from what you've said. But whether you like them isn't really the issue - it's whether they're likely to attract photographers on sites like this to want to work with you.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against creativity. But as your port stands at the moment I think you'll struggle to garner much interest from photographers here. I would be delighted to be proved wrong though.

Sincerely, all the best

Profile Pictures is off-line
17 June 2015 19:21
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I'm thinking your intentions are good, and you do say you've a real interest in art. I struggle a bit with a feeling of a college portfolio, slightly heavy with college type photography. Smoke bombs are fun, but not an end in themselves.

It'd be good to see your creativity bent out of shape a bit by someone else with a little experience and a different outlook.

17 June 2015 21:25
Dasvidanias
Model

Quote from marlhamphoto

What makes you think the images are creative - the addition of smoke and distracting editing effects? The most important part of the image on sites like this is you, the model. That's what cuts the mustard and no amount of 'artistic' or 'creative' effects are going to make up for any inadequacies in your modelling - or, more precisely, the photographer's inability to coax decent modelling from you or to shoot the style of photos needed in a model's port or to provide a suitable level of editing.

There's a difference between constructive critism and being downright rude, that's not exactly helpful to anyone is it?

There's a mix of views on here, obviously dependant to your own tastes. I'm currently in the stages of booking a few lingerie shoots now so hopefully that will give my port a bit more variety. I just hope people don't get the wrong idea and approach me for that little bit more! Thankyou guys, most of this has been helpful!

17 June 2015 21:28
Dasvidanias
Model

Quote from profilepictures
I'm thinking your intentions are good, and you do say you've a real interest in art. I struggle a bit with a feeling of a college portfolio, slightly heavy with college type photography. Smoke bombs are fun, but not an end in themselves.

It'd be good to see your creativity bent out of shape a bit by someone else with a little experience and a different outlook.

I think it would be good to do something a bit more muted down, there are other images that are less in my full portfolio on other sites,I understand the college feel, I keep scanning through and there just seems to be too much going on!

marlham is off-line
17 June 2015 23:16
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Dasvidanias
There's a difference between constructive critism and being downright rude, that's not exactly helpful to anyone is it?

I'm sorry you think I was being rude. But the constructive part was in my first post when I said:

"I suspect you can do more than your port suggests. Better photographers would be my constructive suggestion - ones who can deliver impact to your port as a model rather than simply reflect any 'artistic' aspirations they might have in their photography."

My subsequent post merely sought to reimforce my point - the point being that you need to find photographers who can coax a better standard of modelling from you. I think this image currently in your port illustrates my point very well. The presence of the smoke does absolutely nothing to compensate for the lack of modelling ability which is woefully apparent. And just to be clear - I'm not blaming you for that - I'm firmly of the opinion that your modelling would be improved by working with better photographers which is why I said I suspect you can do more than your port suggests at the moment.

With reference to getting some lingerie images for your port I think it's even more imperative that you find a really good photographer. There's a huge confidence boost to be had when the images you get cause you and others to go WOW. Whereas if the images lack that impact they're likely to knock your confidence. Try and be the best you can by working with people who can bring out the best in you. That's all I'm saying.

Whether you regard that as helpful or not depends on how willing you are to take on board the feedback you requested. Feel free to discard what I said if you like - I promise I won't be offended.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin ElleLaura gggggg Kitty_1 latara_18 Littlemiss01 Tashaholz Vickey
AaronKent alexcrawford antoinewynn bbphotos bengie dorrian FlashHarry100 jonnywoo Kjoservices mlp nibs208 oro oscar p4pFetography plld psn Rupert stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos VB_Photo