HowardJ is off-line
17 June 2015 17:20
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from marlhamphoto
"Although paid work obviously takes priority I do still undertake the occasional TF shoot"

It just tells anybody of any worth who might be interested in TFing with you that you don't consider their time to be valuable.

Not really. I read that as "I have bills to pay just like anyone else, so paid work to help me pay them takes priority. However if your work is amazing then TFP is a possibly."

Or are you suggesting someone should ignore making money to pay their bills and spend their whole time doing TFP because some photographers choose not to pay their models?

marlham is off-line
17 June 2015 18:28
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from HowardJ
Not really. I read that as "I have bills to pay just like anyone else, so paid work to help me pay them takes priority. However if your work is amazing then TFP is a possibly."

Think of it this way.

A decent photographer with the capability to lift her port (and help pay those bills!) gets an opportunity to fit another shoot into his busy schedule. He likes what he sees but doesn't want the potential hassle of dealing with someone who might pull out because she gets an offer of paid work. He won't even give her a second thought before moving on to the next model.

Sometimes a statement in a model's profile which is undoubtedly there in an attempt to encourage photographers to offer paid work rather than TF can have a detrimental effect when it comes to shoots which stand a better chance of improving her port and capabilities.

Seems quite elementary and clear to me anyway.

HowardJ is off-line
18 June 2015 01:40
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from marlhamphoto
Seems quite elementary and clear to me anyway.

If you say so...

It's about collaborating and that starts by agreeing a mutually convenient date and time for the shoot.

You seem to be suggesting that the photographer should dictate the date and time based on their availability. If I was a model that view would immediately put me off working with the photographer as it doesn't bode well for what would happen on the shoot. I'd feel the photographer would be demanding on the shoot too and that's not collaboration. That's called being an arse.

marlham is off-line
18 June 2015 03:58
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from HowardJ
If you say so... It's about collaborating and that starts by agreeing a mutually convenient date and time for the shoot. You seem to be suggesting that the photographer should dictate the date and time based on their availability. If I was a model that view would immediately put me off working with the photographer as it doesn't bode well for what would happen on the shoot. I'd feel the photographer would be demanding on the shoot too and that's not collaboration. That's called being an arse.

No Howard - it's you that's being an arse.

Just because some photographers have the ability to provide models with something that's of far more value than the cash you believe they should be paying them does not make them an arse. You need to get over it and stop playing that cracked old record

HowardJ is off-line
18 June 2015 05:41
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from marlhamphoto
No Howard - it's you that's being an arse.

Just because some photographers have the ability to provide models with something that's of far more value than the cash you believe they should be paying them does not make them an arse. You need to get over it and stop playing that cracked old record

OMG that's funny.

Unfortunately last time I checked TFP shots weren't accepted as payment at the supermarkets or to pay your utility bills. I guess things must have changed.

People need to be doing what's right for them. If their rent is due and they're short of cash to pay it then clearly paid work is going to be their priority. If they've got plenty of cash and no financial worries and an amazing photographer offers them a TFP shoot then TFP may take priority over paid work. It's a matter of what's right for them at a point in time. Let people decide what's right for them instead of making dumb statements about what their priorities should be.

BTW you come across as quite aggressive in your posts which, if I was a model, would put me off working with you. You might want to bear that in mind.

marlham is off-line
18 June 2015 14:37
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from HowardJ
OMG that's funny. Unfortunately last time I checked TFP shots weren't accepted as payment at the supermarkets or to pay your utility bills. I guess things must have changed. People need to be doing what's right for them. If their rent is due and they're short of cash to pay it then clearly paid work is going to be their priority. If they've got plenty of cash and no financial worries and an amazing photographer offers them a TFP shoot then TFP may take priority over paid work. It's a matter of what's right for them at a point in time. Let people decide what's right for them instead of making dumb statements about what their priorities should be.

Oh I agree with you entirely. People need to pay their mortgages/rent/whatever and of course that needs to be a priority for everybody - I don't think many people would be daft enough to disagree with that.
Quote from HowardJ
BTW you come across as quite aggressive in your posts which, if I was a model, would put me off working with you. You might want to bear that in mind.

Really?? You have me worried now because I'm such a nice guy really.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
20 June 2015 06:10
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Hey there, clover. So, the more contrasty pics stand out and the bland ones with flat lighting and sometimes a bit bland expression don't really. So! Work with one or two excellent photographers who are "people persons" who create a bright energetic creative environment and bring out your personality and your smile (which is lovely) ... Simples!

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pmagic tms