Opinions, please.

Chris Dee is off-line
15 June 2015 10:45
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Quote from PaulManuell
Would appreciate people's opinions on this, please. In the past I had a shoot with a model (no names). It was a paid shoot (I paid her) and nothing was mentioned before or after the shoot about her receiving images on top of her fee. However, I later noticed she's downloaded images from my profile and used them on her own profile. I txtd her about this, saying that although I was flattered she considered some of my work good enough that she wanted to use it herself, it would have been nice if she'd asked me first. She said that as they're photos of her she doesn't have to ask my permission to use them. I told her that the photographer owns copyright to his images, unless being paid by a client, and that unless it was a tfp shoot the model needs permission to use photos taken by a photographer who's paid her and not given her permission to use them. Indeed, she wasn't even given the images, they were just downloadf directly from my profile without my knowledge. Who's right in this situation? Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

Think of it this way, to pay in hard currency AND photos you have in effect paid her twice, or as some put it "She wants her cake and eat it"

If a photograph is worth having then it is worth paying for. She should either TF with you, or offer to pay for them/pay you to create what she wants, not just "take" them.

You paid for her time, she has paid you nothing for yours.

I think a lot of people would be quite upset if they found out that "someone" lifted their photos and made a profit out of them by selling those images?, say for example on a website, a book cover or on a mouse mat or something?. How would you feel if perhaps she profits from them in some way like that ?

If however you had agreed prior to the shoot that you would pay in hard currency plus some photos ( x - amount ) then obviously different story.

You are the copyright holder and in this specific instance, based upon your description, you are under no obligation to give her any images whatsoever, and she has no right to take them.

15 June 2015 11:26
PaulManuell
Photographer

Thanks ChrisD, everything you said totally sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Paul Hodson is off-line
15 June 2015 12:23
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from ChrisD

Think of it this way, to pay in hard currency AND photos you have in effect paid her twice, or as some put it "She wants her cake and eat it"

You paid for her time, she has paid you nothing for yours.

Bear in mind I am not saying you should give her photographs - your choice entirely.

But - it doesn't really cost you anything significant to email them to her so you are not really "paying" twice
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alicestar Stratman79
Spiritofwales