Chris is off-line
26 May 2015 08:52
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Hello all you good people of Purestorm.

Once again I have a question for you. What is a really good compact camera for taking to live music gigs? I have been taking my old d70, with the body in one pocket and the lens in my other coat pocket. However, it is Summer now so this is not an option. I need something small enough to fit in my pocket, but takes images to the next best quality to a SLR. Something for around £500 to £600?

Any examples of images would be great too!

Thanks.

Chris.

w4pictures is off-line
26 May 2015 10:14
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

The Fuji X pro 1 is well-regarded. Needs a large pocket but is very much in the footsteps of Leica in terms of image and lenses. Fast, compact lenses and interchangeable too. You should be able to fins a used one within your budget.

It does have a baby brother catchily called the X-M 1 which has a short 3.5 zoom and would leave you plenty of change.

Chris is off-line
26 May 2015 12:19
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from w4pictures
The Fuji X pro 1 is well-regarded. Needs a large pocket but is very much in the footsteps of Leica in terms of image and lenses. Fast, compact lenses and interchangeable too. You should be able to fins a used one within your budget. It does have a baby brother catchily called the X-M 1 which has a short 3.5 zoom and would leave you plenty of change.

Thanks, I will look those up. Been looking myself, the Panasonic GX7 looks good, in my price range too. I saw this on youtube, with the lens I was thinking of also. Looks like it could fit in my pocket too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZ0RsvZRMk

Chris is off-line
26 May 2015 18:11
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from w4pictures
The Fuji X pro 1 is well-regarded. Needs a large pocket but is very much in the footsteps of Leica in terms of image and lenses. Fast, compact lenses and interchangeable too. You should be able to fins a used one within your budget. It does have a baby brother catchily called the X-M 1 which has a short 3.5 zoom and would leave you plenty of change.

Looking at that one, and sample images, it's a great camera, but it is too big for a pocket, what with the lens as well. Also I need a camera that if noticed by the venue security they won't think it's a pro camera, as they're not allowed in most music venues. But I have found this other Panasonic compact, LX100, which fits the bill. It will just fit in my pocket without a problem, doesn't look like a pro camera, and is probably the best I can get for my money. I might go with this one. The video below is from taken with the actual camera and looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DN3t-P6PGQ

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
26 May 2015 23:08
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Have you had a look at the Canon G series conpacts? get good reviews have manual control and a resonable focal length.

Chris is off-line
27 May 2015 07:32
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from paulford
Have you had a look at the Canon G series conpacts? get good reviews have manual control and a resonable focal length.

Thanks Paul, I have been looking at it, and comparing, but as far as I can see the LX100 has the edge over the others for the price. I'm spending hours looking at reviews and samples on youtube, and I still keep being impressed with what I keep seeing. This is a low light demo of the LX100 shot in 4k. I keep having to resist reaching for my card to order one. I think it will be good for shooting live music events, and getting it in, nicely in my pocket. surprise

Watch it in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjPfBRotiQ

Paul Hodson is off-line
27 May 2015 12:33
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from CCP
Thanks Paul, I have been looking at it, and comparing, but as far as I can see the LX100 has the edge over the others for the price.

I agree.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Steve Walsh is off-line
27 May 2015 12:36
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

Quote from CCP
Also I need a camera that if noticed by the venue security they won't think it's a pro camera, as they're not allowed in most music venues. But I have found this other Panasonic compact, LX100, which fits the bill. It will just fit in my pocket without a problem, doesn't look like a pro camera, and is probably the best I can get for my money.

The reason the security wont think its a pro camera, and the reason it doesn't look like a pro camera is because....its not a pro camera!

Chris is off-line
27 May 2015 13:09
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from swalsh58
The reason the security wont think its a pro camera, and the reason it doesn't look like a pro camera is because....its not a pro camera!

Correct you are, but I am looking for a camera closest to a pro quality camera for the price, not easy. But when I refer to the look of the camera, to someone who has no interest in photography, even the cheapest slr looks like a pro camera. I remember about 11 years ago, I got refused entry to a venue for just having my Sony cybershot on me. To someone who didn't know, it looked bigger than an ordinary camera, so thought it must be pro.

I just want the best compact for my money, and edit the images to make good looking prints. My old d70 (also not a pro camera of course) does a nice job, but now it's summer I can't get it through the door. You can take any big looking camera no matter how cheap, and they won't let it in. Having said that, you can get excellent salable images from a camera which is not a "pro" spec camera. It depends how good you are at taking the images.  

Steve Walsh is off-line
27 May 2015 14:29
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

Why don't you speak to the organisers of these gigs and see if you can get an official photographer slot? You can promise them or the band/artist concerned copies of images to use, or get them published to an appropriate outlet, either way its all good advertising for the venue and artist. You just have to sell your skills as a photographer to them. Then you can take your DSLR.

37 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ClaireMzDevon DareMeDD ElleLaura missbrook Tashaholz
Belemboo bob BOBREEVES chandos Chazablake david1500 djb1 ElegantCaptures Firebaby flashbangwallop geoffmarchant gerry99111 hylander john_at_tina_spice jonlee jskazza Kjoservices Ladiesman lify Matt1988 modelboutique orca_photography peacock Platidonio Redbaron Sp_digital spiritofwales Steveh32 Thunder_Photos two_stops xsync
matt