CCD or CMOS

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
25 May 2015 06:32
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

looking to get a compact/bridge camera for holiday, Something a bit easier to slip in jacket pocket than my D700! Any thought on which type of sensor would be best? Not wanting to spend loads of cash, Looking like CMOS is best, But was wanting a few thoughts from members that might have a bit more experience.

Paul Hodson is off-line
25 May 2015 07:36
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Who cares - choose a camera that suits your budget and size requirements and has good reviews - and the sensor will take care of itself!

What budget anyway?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 May 2015 09:12
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Do you even get a choice nowadays? (I thought all but a handful of medium format cameras were all CMOS now).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

25 May 2015 12:17
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from RedChecker
Do you even get a choice nowadays? (I thought all but a handful of medium format cameras were all CMOS now).

Medium format??

25 May 2015 12:23
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from mph
Who cares - choose a camera that suits your budget and size requirements and has good reviews - and the sensor will take care of itself!

What budget anyway?

Just looking at simple point and shoot sort of thing, Sony or Fuji, around £100, Will be taking DSLR with me just wanting something to carry round bit of recci work then have a go with proper camera, Even though D700 will be probably be poorer in pixel terms.

25 May 2015 12:39
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Curry/Dixons/pcworld, have a Sony bridge in stores at the moment just under £100 looks like it might be the one to go for, It's got quite a few good comments on it, ( Although its possible that some of the reviewer's might not know their aperture from their armpit, But then again I get confused) Basically just something to inspire me with ideas for later on.

Paul Riddell is off-line
26 May 2015 06:13
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Too be honest its not really a discussion worth having. The sensors aren't changeable.

Instead just go and find yourself a camera that does what to want it too and takes pictures like you want.

If it works and takes great photos, who cares what sensor is in there?
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

26 May 2015 12:00
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from riddell

Too be honest its not really a discussion worth having. The sensors aren't changeable.

Instead just go and find yourself a camera that does what to want it too and takes pictures like you want.

If it works and takes great photos, who cares what sensor is in there?

I know the sensors aren't changeable, Was asking for some advice, Can't check out image quality unless I buy and if its crap it's a bit late. Very happy with what my DSLR produces, Had D100, D80, and am now on a D700, Been on internet and scoured what the advantages and disadvantages are seem CMOS is less sensitive to light but is better for video, Which is not a concern.

Paul Riddell is off-line
27 May 2015 03:42
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Why fixate yourself on one piece of technology when the item works as a sum of its whole parts?

The most compelling argument against not worrying about it is that I have never ever heard a professional say anything even close to being along the lines that they are going to buy a new model of camera because it has a different type of sensor. I've never even heard anyone discuss them in this way.

Discussions will take place that they want this camera or that camera because its better in low light or better at video or whatever. But its always the camera that is discussed.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Steve Walsh is off-line
27 May 2015 04:07
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

If all your after is something to record stuff for 'recce work' as you put it, then what's wrong with using your phone? I fail to see the point in spending £100 on what (in all likelihood) is going to give low quality images, when you have a DSLR with you. Stick the DSLR round your neck and use it for your initial search, if you don't want to do that then use your phone. Simples.
The last thing you need to worry about on a £100 camera is the type of sensor it has......

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Faye MissCaraJane RoxyMendez Sarahlou73 Winterlilly
bbphotos Cheshunt83 ElegantCaptures FlashHarry100 flawless_photo gerry99111 gordon hylander JRFox mamamiya Matt1988 mauricesimagery orca_photography panda49 Pmeswani redbaron RoninUK skymouse Swyftie TinDolls vincentm1980