Reminder Secure

Reikan Focal - calibration software question.

Profile Pictures is off-line
23 May 2015 19:08
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Anyone use this? I've been impressed with the result on primes, but don't really understand how to test zooms properly, the website isn't all that clear I thought.

Graham Russell is off-line
24 May 2015 04:15
grahamr
Photographer
grahamr
Surrey
Lightwater

I use it. For zooms you calibrate the wide end and zoomed end separately.

24 May 2015 04:52
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Ah, so just run one test after the other then ( probably with a target check inbetween?) I seem to have managed that with a 16-35, but the software was less happy about doing the same thing with a 70-200, hence me confusion.

25 May 2015 02:06
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Ah, right. Now I get it, to calibrate Canon zoom lens', run two tests one at each end of the zoom. A target check between is handy. Where I'd experienced problems is in not checking the recommends distance from lens to target for my 70-200. In the end I set it up in the garden and shot through the dining room window to give sufficient length!

For anyone who shoots wide open, you'll find this calibration tool superb to ensure each lens is set to work at its best with each of your camera bodies. Fast and repeatable tests in which the software automates the click, de-focs and refocus process and takes around 20 shots of the target to find at which point in the calibration adjustments you get the sharpest image. This is then saved to the camera. For zooms its likely you'll have to different calibrations applied, ensure the wide and the close end are tuned to best effect.

Also interesting is that the software will also check your shaprest or poorest aperture setting for each lens so you'll know how best to use them.

It may be you calibrate in a more conventional method, but I have to say I think its a really ball ache and as a new user of the Reikan kit this weekend, I tweaked 7 lens' to two camera bodies in around 4 hours ( some of which was fooling about with the kit and setting up thee targets etc)

I'd say its an essential bit of kit, and arguably the cheapest upgrade available for your photography in image quality terms.

Steve Harratt LRPS LBPPA is off-line
26 May 2015 10:54
SteveHarratt
Photographer
SteveHarratt
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Hi profilepictures

having read what you put about the calibration software I have bought it, and now reading how to use it, so thanks for giving me the info.

Regards

Steve

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
26 May 2015 11:02
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I'm going to give it a go as well, going for the fully auto version.

26 May 2015 15:06
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Hope you're both as pleased as I've been with the outcome gents.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
blurob Charlotte90 DareMeDD ElleLaura kategrimsby Stephieb27 Winterlilly
Add_barkaway Andy_B BOBREEVES GlasgowPhotographer hjphoto humphries hylander nickdandalos redbaron robhillphoto rscott360 simon007 skymouse stevegosh Studio1