Reminder Secure

Want to cut down on your photography costs?

Anthonygh is off-line
24 March 2015 11:01
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I came across this site / blog earlier.....I was quite fascinated by it. I suspect it will appeal to film users mainly....or anyone who thinks photography has become an ultra expensive hobby!!

https://tightfistedphotography.wordpress.com/

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
01 April 2015 05:53
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

i havent done the maths, but i "turned to" digital because film was costing me so much
at the click-rate i had at the time.

my click rate has multiplied by 10,
and my costs have reduced by 10 overall, maybe ?

for the occasional shot printed commercially on paper, a film camera works.
for an amateur that shoots 20? frames a day, not so ???

all the ???'s means i am postulating and dont have the answers worked out scientifically !

Profile Pictures is off-line
01 April 2015 06:39
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I'm pretty sure if I'd been limited to film only, I just wouldn't have been able to afford learning photography, or have progressed anywhere near as quickly. Each to their own of course but event coverage on film only with print provision would work out a very difficult medium for most to earn a living from these days I imagine, and with very high MP cameras or digital backs for film gear available, I struggle completely to see the argument for film at all.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 April 2015 06:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
I'm pretty sure if I'd been limited to film only, I just wouldn't have been able to afford learning photography, or have progressed anywhere near as quickly.

^ this

Although it wasn't all down to cost, time & effort with film, even down to going out of one's way to put films in a letter box to send away and by the time you'd got them back you'd likely not remember what you'd done anyway.

For film I still threw £thousands at the gear but got very little out of it.  For digital I started with a cheap (at the time) 400D (I had a couple of crappy bridge cameras before that) and got so much out of it in terms of learning & enjoyment, far more than film would likely have ever given me.  The instant feedback with digital is worth every penny IMO, and the consistency & clarity of it is (IMO) unmatched (unless you can afford the likes of MF with drum scanning).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Profile Pictures is off-line
01 April 2015 09:33
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Feedback, yes, that's the word. You try something and within a few seconds ( in camera review) or minutes in Bridge or sorting the RAW; you're reminded what strings achieved the effect you wanted, or where perhaps you went wrong. It'd be so difficult to keep those records long term using analogue gear I think.

Let's not even go into post processing, that's at least very different and more achievable for the average person, and for the skilled operated, an utterly different and potentially separate skill.

I see the argument about cheap analogue photography and don't think it hold water now with cameras available for £100 and gimp available free. Analogue cameras you might pick up for half as much and get your film at the pound shop at £1 for 24 exposures; add processing costs ( in house or by a lab) and it wouldn't take long for the books to balance.

Razoir is off-line
03 April 2015 09:05
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

My 'newest' old camera costs me about £23 EVERY time I press the shutter! That is adding the cost of a single sheet of 10" x 8" Portra film plus processing each one, one at a time.

GULP.

I do not use it very often.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
03 April 2015 14:40
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

Quote from JeromeRazoir
£23 EVERY time I press the shutter!

((( alex faints )))

Anthonygh is off-line
18 April 2015 06:12
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I came across this a bit earlier...an interesting read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32337778

David Kirk is off-line
19 April 2015 13:33
DKirk
Photographer

Glasgow
Glasgow

Quote from JeromeRazoir
My 'newest' old camera costs me about £23 EVERY time I press the shutter! That is adding the cost of a single sheet of 10" x 8" Portra film plus processing each one, one at a time.

GULP.

I do not use it very often.

50p plus chemistry if you do black and white and use X-Ray film though. . .

13 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Donna654321 ElleLaura Kaitlynlakenxxx paige_hendrix
bbphotos davidhunt diphoto Fluffypup George99 RenedeHaan VB_Photo viewphotographic