Becoming seduced by the 70-200mm 2.8 mk II

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
16 March 2015 15:51
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

I have seen so many fantastic reviews on this lens, pin sharp, build quality exceptional, IQ incredible, super fast auto focus, quiet, reliable, sports, weddings, events
it does the lot !
So i have been thinking, do I really need my 200mm 2.8 L, 100mm 2.8L, and 17-55 2.8 canon when I could do the same with with 
the 70-200L 2.8 mk II and my 24-105L lens. with my 50mm as trusty emergency back up.

So thinking of trading the 200mm and the 17-55 in possibly throwing in the 100mm 2.8 too although I will miss the macro. but if this lens lives up to the billing by many many reviewers and owners, then just have 3 lenses in the bag which should cover most eventualities....

Just wanted to gauge the thoughts of other photographers out there

Cheers

Graham
'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

Dave Beasley is off-line
16 March 2015 16:44
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I too have the 70-200 2.8 mk2 IS and the 100 2.8 IS L but certainly wouldn't trade in the 100mm. There are occasions when I go out solely to shoot headshots so the 100mm is perfect and doesn't weigh the half hundredweight the zoom weighs. It is of course a fantastic macro lens as well.

I would lose the 17-55 and the 200mm prime, keep the rest and get the 70-200 - its worth every penny.

Dave

Paul Hodson is off-line
16 March 2015 18:04
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Well you may miss the 17-24 range......
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
17 March 2015 02:49
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

How fit are you? I have the previous lens and it is a beautiful machine but boy is it a beast! You may not notice that too much during a one hour shoot. At the end of an eight to ten hour day of none stop shooting though it will start to tell.

In the studio these days nearly all my work is done on the 24-110 IS-L Much lighter, quite fast enough for studio flash and a better range. I don't regret buying the other though. Indeed I'm thinking of going back to it for some sessions so I can shoot at 2.8
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
17 March 2015 03:37
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from redbaron
In the studio these days nearly all my work is done on the 24-110 IS-L Much lighter, quite fast enough for studio flash and a better range.

I presume you mean the 24-105 f4?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

gaffer is off-line
17 March 2015 05:29
gaffer
Photographer
gaffer
East Yorkshire

70-200 2.8 is my lens of choice whenever I have the space to use it, but it is a heavy beast. Second is 24-70 2.8

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
17 March 2015 05:58
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from gaffer
70-200 2.8 is my lens of choice whenever I have the space to use it, but it is a heavy beast.

Ditto, it's hard to take a bad image with a 70-200 IMO, but the weight's actually a bonus if shooting with full-frame bodies (esp. with grip) as it balances nicely with those cameras.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

gaffer is off-line
17 March 2015 06:30
gaffer
Photographer
gaffer
East Yorkshire

Quote from RedChecker
Ditto, it's hard to take a bad image with a 70-200 IMO, but the weight's actually a bonus if shooting with full-frame bodies (esp. with grip) as it balances nicely with those cameras.

Yes, I use it with Canon full frame and grip. I also find that a sling strap rather than a neck strap is far more comfortable.

Simon Chan is off-line
17 March 2015 13:32
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I have the EF 70-200 f2.8L MkII, it is claim to be much better suited to the 50MP 5Ds so don't be surprise if prices starting to rise when these cameras start shipping.
It is much sharper than the Mk1 and CA is better but the bokeh is not as smooth. The EF 100mm f2.8L Macro has a very nice bokeh and really shows up the EF 70-200 MKII so I will not trade this lens.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
17 March 2015 14:38
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from RedChecker
I presume you mean the 24-105 f4?

Probably. I find specs unnuterably boring. It does the job and that is all I am interested in
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pmagic tms