Reminder Secure

Softbox accessories ( and repairs )

Chris Dee is off-line
14 March 2015 11:01
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Seeking some help and advice please, I need to replace the protective end caps on two of my softbox rods. I lost the plastic/rubber caps and so far have not found a supplier of these online ( tried a google search )

Also the rod has gone through the fabric and I was wondering how best to repair the hole ? Thanks in advance, Chris.

Dave Beasley is off-line
14 March 2015 11:12
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Contact softbox manufacturer

HowardJ is off-line
14 March 2015 13:03
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from eosfan
Contact softbox manufacturer

+1 you may be surprised by their response.

As far as repairing the fabric. You could try switching it by hand or find someone with a pro sewing machine and get them to fix it.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
14 March 2015 13:41
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Do you have a local market as most have people that repair clothing (hem dresses turn trousers up etc) plastic caps try a camping store or maybe a plumbers merchants, Screwfix or toolstation. have web sites might be worth a look.

plug57 is off-line
14 March 2015 15:55
stufreeman
Photographer
stufreeman
Wiltshire

Try 'Maplin' electronic stores.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 March 2015 15:58
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from stufreeman
Try 'Maplin' electronic stores.

Well that's me well & truely confused.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Chris Dee is off-line
14 March 2015 16:39
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. It is a generic 150cm octobox, I can't find the invoice or remember now where I bought it ( or the make ) or I would have tried that avenue of enquiry regarding "spares". It's just damned annoying because its not seen heavy use and has been well looked after, in fact if it wasn't for the faults I've described it would be in excellent condition. Very unfortunate what's happened and has of course rendered it useless, at least for the time being.

I guess a seamstress is the answer for the repair of the holes, and maybe some material to reinforce the "pockets". Worst case scenario if I can't find protective ends for the rods I'll have to see if I can buy a new set complete with "end caps" from somewhere.

HowardJ is off-line
14 March 2015 16:43
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

See if you can get some rods on ebay

Andy Johnstone is off-line
14 March 2015 16:46
photomane9
Photographer
photomane9
London
Bexleyheath

Quote from stufreemanTry 'Maplin' electronic stores.

Quote from RedChecker
Well that's me well & truely confused.

Not sure if this is what stufreeman had in mind, but  Maplins sell stuff called Polymorph which would be ideal for repairing the ends of the rods. Chuck a heaped teaspoonful of granules in a pan of boiling water then once they've turned transparent and amalgamated, fish them out with a fork and mould the Polymorph into a suitable shape around the end of the rod using your fingers and leave to harden. Two minute job.
As for repairing the corner of the fabric, if there's room to get into the little pocket, push in a piece of duct tape, sticky side first. You will probably need a piece about one inch square. If the sticky side shows through from the outside. apply another piece of duct tape on the outside, sticky side to sticky side, cutting and trimming it so that it folds neatly round the corner of the softbox. 

HowardJ is off-line
14 March 2015 17:04
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Alternatively save yourself a load of grief and buy a new one. If its not a branded one it should be cheap.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
poah portalphotography