Pancakes ... Canon EF-S 24mm & 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens

G Jack B is off-line
09 March 2015 04:02
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Hi - doing some travelling this year and was wondering if anyone has any experiance of these?  Very small and a good price but are they worth considering?   I will using them on a 70D ...thanks
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Nick Skinner is off-line
11 March 2015 17:31
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

I bought the 40mm to use on a recently acquired 6D, simply to enable me to carry it, for little more weight than a quality compact. I have not been disappointed for what it is and what it costs its fine, but in my opinion its not as good quality wise as a mk1, much maligned 50mm f1.8. Yes very plastic and cheap looking, but produced some surprisingly good images for such a budget price. I have no experience of the mk 2 version. I like the 40mm, but mainly because my bad back appreciates any grm of weight saved, and its quite quirky to look at!

Profile Pictures is off-line
11 March 2015 19:35
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I had a quick play with the 40stm and thought it a good value lens, at that time I had a 70d in the line up and these two are designed to work together. For video, I'd say it's a bargain, for general landscape and snaps, pretty good value if a bit limiting. I'd suggest get one s/h on eBay and try; if you're not happy you'll get close to your buying price as you sell too.

G Jack B is off-line
12 March 2015 02:41
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

thanks for your thoughts.... will give one a go...

Dave Beasley is off-line
12 March 2015 07:16
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I use the Canon 100D with 40mm pancake lens as an alternative to a compact camera - so far very pleased with results. I have printed up to A4 so far and very satisfied with results.
The 40mm is also good for video on the 100D as it autofocuses almost silently.

David Kirk is off-line
12 March 2015 07:50
DKirk
Photographer

Glasgow
Glasgow

I'd look at the 24mm - a nice moderate wide angle lens

G Jack B is off-line
12 March 2015 09:41
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

well Im tempted with both -

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Chloejade25 LunaDaze
Argentiq bbphotos Dave@studio99 djb1 dorrian eyecandiphotography geoffmarchant James7799 john_at_tina_spice Kjoservices lenscape marty55uk mauricesimagery mike0048 nik300 philippahh ron siclews stevegosh steveh32 thelook vapourtrail vincent Willjamieson