Reminder Secure

IceLight Mk2.. The Ambient strikes back..

This thread is being watched by 1 person
03 March 2015 05:18
paule
Photographer

Westcott just about to launch their updated Icelight... 

1740lumen.. 50% more powerful 
digital readout.. 
removable battery (big plus imho)

http://www.fjwestcott.com/led-lighting/ice-light/ice-light-2

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
03 March 2015 05:58
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

It's a nice piece of kit, snag is the price, especially in UK , as always! The Mk1 is close to £400. There are, more reasonable priced 'clones', one of which already has a removable battery.
I've used a couple of £9.99 work lights from Clas Ohlson and they aren't bad!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 March 2015 06:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from magpie1
It's a nice piece of kit, snag is the price, especially in UK , as always! The Mk1 is close to £400. There are, more reasonable priced 'clones', one of which already has a removable battery. I've used a couple of £9.99 work lights from Clas Ohlson and they aren't bad!

I'd like to think Westcott had done their homework on the CRI of the LEDs as well as colour balance though for that price.  I'd suspect many clones & DIY ones will have dreadful CRI and colour balance (I may get one of Sekonic's new colour meters eventually and will be able to test this) and as always it may well be that you get what you pay for.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
03 March 2015 12:21
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

not really "ambient".... I think these things are way too expensive although they can have their uses. As Red says, the CRI is key, I have an LED video light that is much brighter at about the same price.
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

HowardJ is off-line
03 March 2015 14:53
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Has anyone tried the DIY ice lights made from led torches and white PVC pipe?

04 March 2015 03:50
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Just had a gander on 'tinterwebs and it seems good LED torches have a CRI of ~75%, the IceLight has a CRI of over 90%

Many car maintenance torches & the like that may seem a suitable cheap alternative probably have worse CRI than the 'good' torches (like Maglight & LED Lenser). Apparently lights with higher colour temperature are likely to have a lower CRI, and certainly my cheapie LED inspection lamp is very blue.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

04 March 2015 10:08
paule
Photographer

surely if the Sith are the Dark side... the Jedi are at least ambient

agree they are an expensive bit of kit... though compact and give a very nice light.. as with most things it's just a tool and all about how creative you can be with it..

HowardJ is off-line
05 March 2015 06:11
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from paule
surely if the Sith are the Dark side... the Jedi are at least ambient

agree they are an expensive bit of kit... though compact and give a very nice light.. as with most things it's just a tool and all about how creative you can be with it..

It appears they're not that powerful and you can achieve the same result for much less money. Very expensive for what it does.

05 March 2015 06:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from HowardJ
Very expensive for what it does.

Ever used/handled one Howard?

They're VERY well made, and as I said earlier... it has a high CRI (which will not come cheaply) which is important for people who care about getting the best image quality possible.  Bear in mind it's also properly made to certain international safety standards (unlike most Chinese stuff), not that most people give a monkeys but it's another reason it's pricey.  Also note that it has very soft light by way of some sort of diffusor, this is probably knocking a stop or two out of the brightness compared to (say) a torch/worklight (which are too harsh to be used directly)

Expensive, yes.  Rip off, no (as you're getting what you're paying for).

It'll appeal to many who use fast primes at high ISO on location (I've toyed with the idea of getting one, with a removeable battery it's much more attractive)

HowardJ is off-line
05 March 2015 06:52
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RedChecker
Ever used/handled one Howard?

They're VERY well made, and as I said earlier... it has a high CRI (which will not come cheaply) which is important for people who care about getting the best image quality possible.  Bear in mind it's also properly made to certain international safety standards (unlike most Chinese stuff), not that most people give a monkeys but it's another reason it's pricey.  Also note that it has very soft light by way of some sort of diffusor, this is probably knocking a stop or two out of the brightness compared to (say) a torch/worklight (which are too harsh to be used directly)

Expensive, yes.  Rip off, no (as you're getting what you're paying for).

It'll appeal to many who use fast primes at high ISO on location (I've toyed with the idea of getting one, with a removeable battery it's much more attractive)

Nope, but I've watched the videos and they have to be held very close. A modelling lamp or a continuous light like a Lupolex is about the same price and is more flexible for use in different situations.

They could be amazingly well made, but there's still cheaper options out there as is backed up by various reviews I've read.

By all means buy one and have fun with it.

BTW various companies are clearing stock of the old one with bigish reductions in price.

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Brightonblonde Cherelle_Claudia miles
bbphotos cygnet david1500 Dolayley dorrian eosfan Fatsammy mareeoosh nik300 ranesh redbaron rscott360 seductiveangels tms Willjamieson