A question for (glamour) models

EdT is off-line
14 March 2015 03:45
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from Ladiesman
From my observations it's a bit like an arms race (metaphorically speaking). I was talking to a young lady last week who was supposed to be working for me, she had 2500 friends; within days she had over 3000 so-called friends. Why do people feel the need to add people they don't even know? By the way the young lady failed to turn up.

Probably out partying with her 3000 friends.

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
14 March 2015 06:19
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from EdT
Probably out partying with her 3000 friends.

Yes the night before.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
14 March 2015 06:40
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from Ladiesman
Why do people feel the need to add people they don't even know?

The TwitFace sites are geared to helping people who don't have many proper friends out in the real world. A not insignificant proportion of internet models have self-worth issues, as we frequently see in the popcorn-generating Drama Llama forum posts and sometimes even in  profile notes, so to them TwitFace sites are probably the sort of places where they can boost their perceived self-worth by collecting loads of 'friends'.

I would rather have a handful of proper friends than a thousand internet 'friends', which is why I state on my profile notes on another portfolio site; "Your best chance of becoming my 'buddy' is to work with me or get drunk with me - just asking me to be your friend probably won't work".

Bob

michellework is off-lineSilver Member
15 March 2015 10:42
michelledefeo1
Model
michelledefeo1
Essex
Colchester

You learn to ignore them I have 10k followers.
Doesn't bother me. Id rather then then nasty bully comments. Or asking for sexual stuff.

15 March 2015 15:01
Jackass
Photographer

Sexual stuff?
You'll have to remind me, it's been that long now!
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

17 March 2015 08:05
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from Bob
The TwitFace sites are geared to helping people who don't have many proper friends out in the real world. A not insignificant proportion of internet models have self-worth issues, as we frequently see in the popcorn-generating Drama Llama forum posts and sometimes even in  profile notes, so to them TwitFace sites are probably the sort of places where they can boost their perceived self-worth by collecting loads of 'friends'.

I would rather have a handful of proper friends than a thousand internet 'friends', which is why I state on my profile notes on another portfolio site; "Your best chance of becoming my 'buddy' is to work with me or get drunk with me - just asking me to be your friend probably won't work".

Bob

I have worked out why they prefer to operate on Facebook as opposed to boosting their portfolio on image hosting website such as Pure Storm. It's because they're stupid antics on here would get them a no-show with no valid reason, and their stupid comments would get them into hot water with genuine professional models and photographers.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

07 April 2015 14:11
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Another bad thing about Facebook is that it's encouraged copyright theft. The amount of people (not just models) who have fantastic images on their portfolios of themselves with no reference to the individual who actually took the shot, must be in its tens of thousands +. That doesn't mean that they're all stolen, but anyone having a little look at what goes on on Facebook will know that a significant portion are most definitely stolen.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 April 2015 02:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Ladiesman
Another bad thing about Facebook is that it's encouraged copyright theft. The amount of people (not just models) who have fantastic images on their portfolios of themselves with no reference to the individual who actually took the shot, must be in its tens of thousands +. That doesn't mean that they're all stolen, but anyone having a little look at what goes on on Facebook will know that a significant portion are most definitely stolen.

'Encouraged' isn't a fair description, lack of policing is probably more apt.  But in their terms & conditions it's made clear that you can only upload images for which you hold copyright, strictly speaking it's not their fault people have disregard for it.

Furthermore, FB was never really geared up/intended to be a site for models/photographers, although most responsible models & photographers will add details in the comments to the photo (if & where necessary), but again the onus is on the user not the site.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
09 April 2015 18:59
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

You're being a bit harsh - I have something like 4000 friends and generally ignore the 'hi' messages. It doesn't mean I don't have any friends IRL - I just have another fb account with a regular amount. I used to accept everyone, now I accept those with mutual friends or those I think are in the industry, in an attempt to network. This rules out mostly people with Arabic/Indian/Turkish looking names, I then feel a bit racist, and then go back and add the rest of them. I then only delete people who offend me / post too many annoying links / invite me to play a game with them. I am a 'suggested friend' to a great many people, including those with no friends when they join facebook, so I end up with 50 requests a day.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alicestar Stratman79
Spiritofwales