Chris is off-line
15 February 2015 06:19
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from carshaltonkev
Some of the Canon EOS film cameras were notorious for rubber grips turning sticky over time. The EOS 5 for one.

I believe the solution is to rub the sticky stuff off with what they call in the USA "denatured alcohol" which I assume is methylated spirits. Meths worked for me- but I was cleaning up Canon film cameras. It could be different on a Nikon? It does not take long.

I was trying to get it off with white spirit, but I will look out for alchohol. God only knows when I'll get around to that. Next time I want to shoot a gig probably. 

Thanks. smiley

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
15 February 2015 19:23
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Quote from CCP
I was trying to get it off with white spirit, but I will look out for alchohol. God only knows when I'll get around to that. Next time I want to shoot a gig probably. 

Thanks. smiley

They recommend isopropyl alcohol, which is not something I have seen around much. As methylated spirit is approx 90% alcohol (plus very nasty additives to stop people drinking it) it should do the job OK.

As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Chris is off-line
16 February 2015 15:19
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from carshaltonkev
They recommend isopropyl alcohol, which is not something I have seen around much. As methylated spirit is approx 90% alcohol (plus very nasty additives to stop people drinking it) it should do the job OK.

It can't taste worse than some of those others people drink. Put a nice label on a nice looking bottle, like Southern Comfort, people would drink loads of it. 

Thanks, I will try that, on my camera I mean, not drink it. frown

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
woody