Very sticky D70.

Chris is off-line
12 February 2015 19:32
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

I decided to get out my old d70 today, but the right hand side, the grip area is very sticky for some reason. I have tried giving it a wipe with white spirit on a kitchen towel. No change, still sticky. Any idea why it is sticky, and how I can fix this problem? Has this ever happened to any of your old cameras?

HowardJ is off-line
13 February 2015 02:03
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Were you overly excited the last time you used it?

HowardJ is off-line
13 February 2015 02:04
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

OK, seriously I'd Google it as its probably a known issue.

From a quick Google.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bMU8

It is indeed a known issue.

Chris is off-line
13 February 2015 08:52
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from HowardJ
Were you overly excited the last time you used it?

No, if I were that excited, I am sure the model would have ran out of the room. 

Chris is off-line
13 February 2015 08:54
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from HowardJ
OK, seriously I'd Google it as its probably a known issue. From a quick Google. http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bMU8 It is indeed a known issue.

Thanks for that, looks like a lot of work to do, trying to clean it off. Maybe next time I will buy a Canon. 

HowardJ is off-line
13 February 2015 17:38
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from CCP
Thanks for that, looks like a lot of work to do, trying to clean it off. Maybe next time I will buy a Canon. 

Apparently you can buy a new set of rubbers for the camera.

w4pictures is off-line
14 February 2015 05:52
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Something for the click end, sir?

Chris is off-line
14 February 2015 16:48
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from HowardJ
Apparently you can buy a new set of rubbers for the camera.

Yes, but they're not worth the money for an old camera. I dug it out to take to a gig, as it's small enough to have the body in one coat pocket and the lens in another. I had plastic bag over the sticky side, which has stuck anyway. I wil still try to get the goo off sometime, but the camera did the job anyway. I had a quick look at the pics last night when I got home, nothing portfolio worthy, but I think the band will like them. 

Cheers. cheeky

Chris is off-line
14 February 2015 16:52
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from w4pictures
Something for the click end, sir?

No comment. 

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
14 February 2015 18:48
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Quote from CCP

Some of the Canon EOS film cameras were notorious for rubber grips turning sticky over time. The EOS 5 for one.

I believe the solution is to rub the sticky stuff off with what they call in the USA "denatured alcohol" which I assume is methylated spirits. Meths worked for me- but I was cleaning up Canon film cameras. It could be different on a Nikon? It does not take long.

As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
BlueLah DanielleWx DareMeDD Kacie RoxyMendez
63jian AndiCallen dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 Einstein hylander jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto johnnytog Keithhendy Ladiesman LGI nickdandalos peteb photosareu redbaron Rhadamanthus Rupert Spiritofwales Stoker thelook zprangz