Reminder Secure

More Good News For Film Users.

Anthonygh is off-line
25 February 2015 08:02
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from gwentman
+1 but yet again I say that sometimes I still use the "wet" system to make the occassional A3 size.

I scan the negatives from my vast collection and then it's into Lightroom or whatever to see what can be done.

As for hard drive failure, I still have my "raw" images from the fifties to work on.

So as for film, don't knock it, try it.

Mike.

Note. Must get around to changing my avatar.

HD failure is the least of my worries as I have auto data backup...and the negs of course....folders of them!!  But I also have a comprehensive collection of darkroom equipment going to waste, which is a shame, and maybe I will eventually get a house with space to have a dedicated 'wet area'. I am quite interested in a technique I read about whereby images in PS are corverted to a negative and these are then printed (inkjet) onto clear film...and the film used to make contact prints in the darkroom.

So far as I can see, the only suitable film is limited to A4 size, and 300 DPI....but I keep it in mind. There is still a snob value in a genuine wet print.....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 February 2015 08:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
There is still a snob value in a genuine wet print.....

There's a snob value in all non-digital photography IMO (and Jivago's post is a good example)

Digital has come a long way since its inception and I'd imagine the majority are simply concerned with the end result, regardless of the methods utilised to get there.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Anthonygh is off-line
28 February 2015 19:19
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

My copy of the BJP arrived today....and it devoted a lot of coverage to the resurgence of film usage. Not properly read it yet but there is a growing momentum amongst the more 'art' orientated users who want the process and the human input to be more obvious in their work.

Some other interesting stuff...seems Canon have a prototype 120 MB sensor tucked away...Canon claims it can resolve more detail than the human eye.

01 March 2015 02:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
Some other interesting stuff...seems Canon have a prototype 120 MB sensor tucked away...Canon claims it can resolve more detail than the human eye.

This is actually very old news (it was first announced in 2010)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steve Walsh is off-line
01 March 2015 04:28
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

Quote from anthonyh

What is the point of resolving more detail than the eye? You wont be able to see it..........

Anthonygh is off-line
01 March 2015 05:32
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from swalsh58
What is the point of resolving more detail than the eye? You wont be able to see it..........

You'd have to ask Canon.....but I guess you could take a pic of a wedding group and then crop individual faces to a decent size...for example.

01 March 2015 06:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from swalsh58

You will if you crop it or zoom in/get closer to a print of it for detailed scrutiny.

There's no such thing as too much resolution.

Steve Walsh is off-line
01 March 2015 18:23
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

Sorry it was my attempt at humour..........

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin MissCaraJane
bengie dby47 dorrian gwentman iestyn JRFox keltica Kimily Matt1988 mlp plld robhillphoto snarf Sp_digital Steveh32 TinDolls WellandPhoto Willjamieson