This thread is being watched by 1 person
Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 February 2015 03:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Anyone got (or used) one of these for precise camera levelling?

I've got their basic three-way head but getting the camera perfectly level on the tripod (using the built-in spirit level on the 6D) is somewhat tricky as my head allows the camera to flop over too easily (esp. in portrait orientation) while tightening the movement, and the tightening can also introduce a slight movement as well.

This head I've linked to has a friction control which I'm assuming would massively reduce my problem.

I had been contemplating the Manfrotto 405 geared head but at ~£330 is quite a lot of money, is fairly heavy and arguably overkill if the X-Pro 3-way head would solve my problem (I'm not interested in the 410 geared head, even though it's dirt cheap)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

modjo30 is off-line
10 February 2015 05:23
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

I brought one 2 weeks ago when Amazon had them on offer for £74.99, the friction controls do help for more precise movements. I had no trouble levelling it although not used in portrait mode yet. It's very well made and has a very high quality feel to it, i couldn't be happier with it.
Although if you want to photo the night sky you need to reverse the mounting plate because the standard vertical movement doesn't go very far if wanting to point it upwards.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 February 2015 06:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Thanks for the reply. For £75 I may just hang on and buy one if it goes cheap again (i'll confess I didn't look at Amazon prices), the handy thing is that it uses my most common mounting plate (which is as good as permanently bolted to all my cameras), and the fact it folds up slightly will help it fit in my tripod bag easier.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

modjo30 is off-line
10 February 2015 08:19
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

Sorry is way £79 , it actually only went to £89 on 29th Jan, you can keep track of Amazon prices using camelcamelcamel website, http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Manfrotto-MHXPRO-3W-Pro-Way-Head/product/B00ICFIV7E
that shows you the history of price changes for the xpro head

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE Alexa_Fierce92 Brightonblonde MissCaraJane RoxyMendez Sarahlou73
3rd_Angle Andy_B asnphotography Brian2008 copperbronze david1500 dby47 Dvass ElegantCaptures GlasgowPhotographer ignite jyp kaosrox Ladiesman lester2705 lify Matt1988 mlp PHP_Photography Pmeswani rowephoto stevegosh storm321 thestarglider TinDolls Willy72