alex

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
03 February 2015 10:52
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

This is a common problem with the Canon charger. I bought another charger (non-canon, about a tenner) when mine refused to charge, now have no problems.

I haven't tried the "cheapo" batteries, but do have a couple of Hanhel ones that are good. That said, I've actually bought genuine Canon ones from ebay for £24 each (and yes, they are genuine according to my 5D3)

03 February 2015 11:11
Rolleiflexer
Photographer

I have now gone over to a full frame Nikon but for both my previous Canon DSLRs I found that these batteries bought on Amazon from this company gave longer shooting time and had a longer overall life than the Canon originals.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargerable-Lithium-ion-Battery-7DmarkII-7DmarkIII/dp/B00GN4IRXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422979426&sr=8-1&keywords=LP-E6

I can also recommend the Neewer battery grips. If you are thinking of buying a battery grip there are some great deals for a grip and two batteries bought together as a package.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 February 2015 11:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I too have had my Canon LP-E6 batteries go bad, and I too unfortunately didn't use them for months (it's an unfortunate side effect of modern batteries in that they need regular cycling, nothing to do with the charger).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
03 February 2015 11:45
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

It's also important to store LiOn batteries, fully charged.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
03 February 2015 11:48
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from RedChecker
I too have had my Canon LP-E6 batteries go bad, and I too unfortunately didn't use them for months (it's an unfortunate side effect of modern batteries in that they need regular cycling, nothing to do with the charger).

Hmm, that may be the case, but when my batteries refused to charge in the canon charger, charging them in an aftermarket one rejuvinated them (I can now charge them in either)

03 February 2015 12:30
Rolleiflexer
Photographer

Somewhile ago I was the General Manager for 3 years of the UKs then second largest laptop and camera battery supplier. (We supplied many large companies including Dixons/PC World.) What magpie1 said is absolutely true, Lithium Ion batteries need to be charged first, if they are going to be stored and never allowed to go completely flat. This is the complete opposite of the older technologies, Nickel Cadmium and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries should be stored in a discharged state. The reason for this is that Lithium ion batteries are SMART batteries in that they contain circuitry or a chip which controls their charge and discharge rate which is programmed in when they are manufactured. If a Lithium Ion battery looses so much charge that the battery memory is lost, the battery will not charge. There are machines available which are sophisticated charger/analysers, such as the one the company I worked for had, which will often revive a seemingly dead battery. Different chargers have different charachteristics in terms of how they will react to a battery connected to them. Some will work with a lower level of charge remaining in the battery than others. This explains why EllessePhotography experienced what he did and why the now rejuvanated battery will work with the Canon charger which previously failed to recognise the battery and recharge it. Excuse me being cynical but it may be that Canon would like you to buy more of their nice new batteries so setting their chargers to only recognise a battery that is say one eighth charged and not if it is one twentieth charged, is a good way to get you to write off batteries that could be brought back to life with the right equipment.

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
03 February 2015 12:48
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

Yes. If the charger recognises a very low
state of charge and/or a high electrical resistance it may
decide not to charge.
the canon charger soon goes into a
rapid yellow blinking light mode
which I suspect is an error mode
that delivers a very low charge rate in
an attempt to recover the battery over
time. This is a guess !!!
I'm going to leave the inactive battery
on charge like this overnight to see
if it will take enough charge to
subsequently take a proper charge
cycle from the canon charger.
(holds head in despair).
My guess is that 3rd party cheap
chargers aren't very smart and
simply ignore battery "error"
conditions and blast 'em with full
power until they submit

I won't be taking anything apart to
check the theories though as I simply
can't be bothered if an overnight exposure
to some current doesn't work. batteries
are too cheap (but I've identified two
that aren't happy)

Mantisphoto is off-lineSilver Member
04 February 2015 01:29
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Birmingham

I have used Blumax LP-E6 batteries in my 6D and 5D mk III and have had no issues with them whatsoever, and for the price, cant go wrong...
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/batteries/camera-/-camcorder/for-canon/blumax-canon-lpe6-battery-canon-5d-mkii-5d-mkiii-6d-7d-7d-mkii-60d-70d-p-147.html?utm_campaign=google-simple&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=google-simple&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgMKmBRDMjo_F9OfUubABEiQAp8Ky14bAUZWCnpHnf93IgEb4TIeyzdMMNBs2bmDSiD1djB8aAtkJ8P8HAQ&

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
04 February 2015 19:33
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

latest update if anyone is awake and not yawning:

one battery after 7? attempts to get it to charge started charging as normal, and now appears normal,
is accepting a normal charge, and will be cycles through the camera a number of times to get it exercised.

the other battery has been put on charge 30? times in the canon charger, which attempts to charge
it for a very short period of time only, the charger then "gives up", no lights on it what so ever,
and sits there idle for as long as my patience lasts. this battery wiil hit the bin leaving me
with only 6 working batteries now as the battery grip takes 'em 2 x 2, and i've only
ever got through two sets in a day, i'm going to be tight and not replace the dead battery.

the money saved by not replacing it will go to buy me a nice bottle of belgian beer (or eight)
for the weekend...

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jeff156156156
Cheshunt83 clarmike duncanjames JohnDentonPhoto rscott360 tms