Reminder Secure

New Canon 5Ds / 5Ds r (50mp) TBA next week?????

This thread is being watched by 1 person
HowardJ is off-line
06 February 2015 16:53
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I think it would be best to wait until they get the inevitable bugs out before you buy one.

Simon Chan is off-line
06 February 2015 21:33
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
An honest question.... how can you tell from those?
Like I said earlier, I still think it's best to reserve judgement on things like DR until the likes of DXO Mark have run it through their testing process and we have their decanted result.
As for the lens issue, it is a concern (my Canon lenses are all older designs than 2010) but I'm thinking of other benefits of having such large files such as editing & noise processing.  On the other hand though, you'll at least not be able to blame the camera for lack of sharpness, and your lenses will indeed look their best on this camera than any other even if they are slightly fuzzy.
And it's also worth remembering that we're only increasing the pixel resolution in each direction by around 1.4x (which isn't much), and furthermore what we see from the cameras is interpolated from the bayer pattern image (ie. each pixel isn't a pure recorded colour).

Cant you tell by looking? Maybe DXO mark is the only way to convince yourself how you feel about DR but personally I don't necessary agree with their score but judge DR by its looks and in post. Having big MP body when your lens cannot resolve is pointless. With older lenses you will only want to crop the centre for adequate MTF. When you have to upgrade all your lenses then suddenly that £3k body does not look affordable anymore, but hey you are rich how come all your lenses are older than 2010

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 February 2015 03:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Chandos
Cant you tell by looking?

I'm afraid not, and wouldn't like to judge based on JPGs whose so-called range maybe questionable anyway (you simply don't know how they were processed from the RAW files to make an assesment)

And you really need to curtail your unhealthy obsession with my spending habits.  Seriously.  (It has RedChecker is a naughty person all to do with the subject being discussed anyway)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

raw and the cooked is off-line
16 February 2015 02:03
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

i know this is a canon shooters love in, but it strikes me that the nikon d810, is probably an all round better machine! Certainly in terms of video, and dynamic range. However, I am happy to wait for other people to prove me wrong!

Paul Hodson is off-line
16 February 2015 05:02
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

The main question is - will it produce decent images 895 pixels wide?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

raw and the cooked is off-line
16 February 2015 05:29
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Don't get technical with me, smart ass!

38 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexa_Fierce92 chosin DareMeDD ElleLaura
ad360photo bbphotos Brian2008 carshaltonkev Chris_Mansfield ChrisD Development digitalmood dirkus donaldmac Essexjohn hylander iDubai2018 Kimily Kjoservices Look_Sharp maozhu Mike103 mlp modelimaging monochromeset nigel peteb poah Rhadamanthus rod_m99 Shootonlocation siclews stephenmuddell stevegosh steveh32 Swyftie thelook zzdigital