Reminder Secure

Garage into Studio?

Colin House is off-lineSilver Member
27 January 2015 09:16
colinhouse
Photographer

Northamptonshire
Corby

Was thinking of turning my garage (17ftx9ft] in a photo studio i know it's small size but would it work or would i just be wasting my time? as anyone done this?

colin

Colin House is off-lineSilver Member
27 January 2015 09:16
colinhouse
Photographer

Northamptonshire
Corby

Was thinking of turning my garage (17ftx9ft] in a photo studio i know it's small size but would it work or would i just be wasting my time? as anyone done this?

colin

marlham is off-line
27 January 2015 10:08
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

You haven't said what you want to shoot in there but here are a few considerations which may or may not be relevant.

A standard backdrop is 2.72m (9ft) wide so it's going to be a tight fit let alone allow room for lightstands either side. Although you could mount lights on adjustable wall-mounted arms. There are narrower backdrops available but because you only have 17ft to play with you're going to struggle to use a long lens without which you'll find the narrower backdrops awkward other than for static work like headshots. I guess in the summer you could stand in the garden or on the drive and shoot through the open door!

You didn't mention ceiling height but if it's the standard 2.4m that's going to be a limitation too.

But if you don't mind being limited in what you can achieve, and don't mind battling to control bounce and spill in such a tight space, give it a go. Personally I think you'd be better off hiring your local village hall which usually has plenty of space all round for the princely sum of £8 an hour (or thereabouts) including heating! There's usually a separate room or loo available for the model to occupy too.

Good luck

Paul Riddell is off-line
27 January 2015 12:20
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Yeah its tiny, obviously a lot depends on what you want to photograph, but to be honest its small even for small products, there just isn't enough space to set the lights up properly.

If the question was can I shoot in there? then yes you can, but of course its cramped and you'll have compromises everywhere, but yes you can do it is really desperate for a one off.

However you are thinking of turning you garage into a studio, which is very different.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Jonathan is online
27 January 2015 13:17
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

I seem to remember that a few years ago a photographer posted photo's on here, showing how his conversion / new build progressed etc.

I can't remember whether he converted a garage or just build a studio next to his house but it might be useful to look at if you can find it ...
Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
27 January 2015 15:20
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Been there done that. Perfectly feasible with a little care and thought. There are limitations of course. the ceiling height a bit tight and a standard garage a little too narrow for standard paper rolls. In the end though photography is partly the art of illusion. I have done shots of models on the end of a bed, or up agains a bedstead in the garage where the 'bed' is a sheet of ply and only 4' long! As the missing part is out of shot though people just assume it must be there. All that matters is what the camera frames.

A few random thoughts from when I did it.
  • Dont bother with background stands. A couple of notched timber runners on the two side walls as high up as practical will support a telescopic background roll pole
  • Cut the background vinyl to width. Easy enough with a finde saw if you do it while still rolled up.
  • Laminate flooring is quite a cheap quick way to give a decent floor that is a bit nicer for the paper and models than hard concrete.
  • A Hi-Lite (7x6) with bottle tops is another great background
  • Dont buy too powerful flash units. My 250W interfits were more than ample and I could have done fine with even less.
  • Look for ways to get lights tight into corners. Autopoles are one way but if you cannot afford them there are lighter props in screwfix that could be made to do the same job
  • You can get double airbeds with a build in electric pump that blow up to the same height as a normal bed
  • Ikea cable and clip curtain supports are a cheap simple way to hang drapes and things like black cloths on walls or behind the model to give interesting setups
I had one end set up as above just behind the garage door for the type of shoots you do most. At the opposite end I would sometimes build a more ambitious set for a particular project. Its been a harem bed wilth canopy, BDSM dungeon, bedroom 'hallway' and Cellar over the years
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

4EverYoung is off-line
27 January 2015 15:29
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Maybe Sandycamel is refuring to Sarges shed build studio

here http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=238754

might give some ideas
I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

28 January 2015 02:53
gedimage
Photographer

A model once told me her husband had made a studio in a garage. The model wasn't that bad but I just didnt get any range of angles id even took my own background but to me not for me.

You need also to think where the model will change and would they feel a great shot could come of it. For me a double with extra height would make a big difference

28 January 2015 04:07
Photobomber
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Did it with mine. Was fine for portraits but failed miserably at full length due to lense to space issues

4EverYoung is off-line
30 January 2015 13:46
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfBd_Y_Vmg

some info here about using a small bedroom, looks not too far off garage size. some of the ideas might be of use like the back drop holder system and if you painted the walls then use black material you could control bounce to some degree?

or this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toIbDUi8orU

this room looks garage sized
I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin DanielleWxx ElleLaura Michelledefeo1 natalie120525 Sophiadelane
bbphotos bob chriscooze claypaws Dandelion david1500 dorrian Essexjohn frankpht gazzer59 Kjoservices mike0048 sandycamel two_stops
matt