Reminder Secure

Casting calls - does a model need to be "xyz" to model "xyz"?

G Jack B is off-line
09 January 2015 05:03
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

A general question but arising from a casting call - I dont think a model needs to be a particular person to model (act?) that role.  So asking for such a person should not be neccessary surely?  If I want a model to sit on a tractor and look like a farm girl I dont ask for a farmer?  If I want 2 girls to do a g/g shoot I dont need to ask them if they are gay or bi do I?
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Paul Riddell is online
09 January 2015 05:21
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Not really. Even the best and most varied of actors will have limitations, and when there is a such a huge difference in looks and skills you pick the right model. In general a country girl is going to have much more of a country look sitting on a tractor than a city girl who is uncomfortable with the idea of mud.

After all there is a reason why certain people are picked to be the face of a brand, you wouldn't want to use just anyone. Similarly its why certain actors are used. You pick the right person, right look, right age, build and acting ability.

And if you want any model to do anything even slightly outside the remit of basically be in front of the camera posing then you discuss that with them first before you book them. Even if you have 2 models, male and female for a decent promo shot and that shot involves kissing, nothing naughty, just a kiss for a promo you still need to discuss that beforehand.

Not everyone is comfortable with everything and whats the point of having someone turn up to the set that is uncomfortable and therefore doesn't put 100% in?

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Steve Walsh is off-line
09 January 2015 05:26
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

It would depend how you wanted both girls to interact. Of course you shouldn't ask them if they are gay or bi, that's none of your business. Your hiring them to work for you, in essence, so you should make sure they are capable of doing what you want. If your asking them to interact on a personal and intimate level, then yes, you should make clear what it is you are asking them to do. They are individuals with feelings, morals, standards, and it is in no way the same as asking a girl to sit on a tractor.
I think that is only common sense surely? Unless I have missed the point entirely (which isn't unusual.....)

marlham is off-line
09 January 2015 05:29
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

If I cast here for a model to sit on a tractor looking like a farm girl I'd probably end up with a folder full of pouty, bosom thrusting, thigh flashing but well-meaning girls who all assumed that's what I was really after. I'd hazard a guess that if you really want your model to look like a farm girl you'd be better off finding a farm girl than casting for one here. Other scenarios might also apply.

Alan Johnson is off-line
09 January 2015 05:50
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

Quote from Plymjack
A general question but arising from a casting call - I dont think a model needs to be a particular person to model (act?) that role.  So asking for such a person should not be neccessary surely?  If I want a model to sit on a tractor and look like a farm girl I dont ask for a farmer?  If I want 2 girls to do a g/g shoot I dont need to ask them if they are gay or bi do I?

I think I get what you are referring to,  and must confess I was a bit surprised to see it!
Fortunately, as its a casting,  anyone responding can either indentfy as what is requested or simply say they willing to act the role.

It did feel a bit overly intrusive,  but that could just be my suspicious side coming to the fore.

Speicfying, to use your example, the casting is for a lesbian,  does rather restrict things.  After all,  a great manay models can produce perfectly good and believable images whilst definately not being either lesbian or even bi.
Being that specific, may well put people off,  simply as they do not want to identify their sexual orientation to someone who has no good reason to know it.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Profile Pictures is off-line
09 January 2015 06:00
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Its an I teresting point, but that the two examples are for farm hand or lesbian sets a splendidly polar example. I'd think that in casting terms photographers will be looking for a look or skill set first, though often an attitude can be the deal maker or breaker.
Its fair to say that not every model here will be a gifted multi skilled actor, in the same way that not every photographer will have a skill set capable of producing both convincing fashion/product/wedding shots. Many will give it a good go of course, and some will make a pigs ear of it.

G Jack B is off-line
09 January 2015 06:03
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from Alan_Jay

Speicfying, to use your example, the casting is for a lesbian,  does rather restrict things.  After all,  a great manay models can produce perfectly good and believable images whilst definately not being either lesbian or even bi.
Being that specific, may well put people off,  simply as they do not want to identify their sexual orientation to someone who has no good reason to know it.

yes that is what I thought too..
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

marlham is off-line
09 January 2015 06:39
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Alan_Jay
After all,  a great manay models can produce perfectly good and believable images whilst definately not being either lesbian or even bi.

I think you're just getting carried away by the thought of it rather than the qualities of the images themselves. And it's interesting to note that you're so sure about the sexualities of the models used in those images.

Personally I struggle to recall ANY GG images published on sites like this that look anything other than entirely unconvincing and in many cases simply embarrassing all for those involved in producing them. I'm happy to be pursuaded otherwise though if you can provide examples.

09 January 2015 06:52
JadedRed
Model

I think it's a good idea to ask for a lesbian if you want to shoot g/g, there is an element of realism that is added because lesbians are not only attracted to all other women but are always exhibitionists so will obviously be able to just be able to bring the entirety of their natural sexual behaviour and display it for someone else's enjoyment without any of this crazy "modelling" lark that straight girls have to do.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 January 2015 06:55
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from marlhamphoto
Personally I struggle to recall ANY GG images published on sites like this that look anything other than entirely unconvincing and in many cases simply embarrassing all for those involved in producing them. I'm happy to be pursuaded otherwise though if you can provide examples.

As to how convincing it is, there's an element of the photographer being able to capture it as well, most unfortunately can't.  Mainly I think the problem is that if you're going to have two people going at it, the last thing you need is to photograph them being aware of the photographer's presence (looking at the camera) when they should be concentrating on one another.

A lot of G/G (typically the 'softer' stuff) also looks contrived.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Kimmikitsch wildchief
alanbassettphotography antoinewynn bbphotos bob Brownnwhite ChrisNewton couchestudio david1500 dorrian freddie James7799 keltica normant parafotos pcmphotography psn redbaron riddell stevegosh tms xposed