Reminder Secure

Mac-Mini

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
27 January 2015 04:32
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Also worth trying jigsaw24.com who may have some old stock, server models are often quite 'specked up'.

diipii is off-line
27 January 2015 05:48
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

There's nothing around atm that would suit my use but thanks for the info.
I might wait and see what the next update on the Mac Pro looks like as there might be some serious video editing coming up.
It only happens all the time.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
27 January 2015 06:26
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

You could also look into building a high end PC (easier to do than you think, and cheaper than a mac pro) and then use mac software with it - just do a search for "hackingtosh" - one link below

http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604

HowardJ is off-line
27 January 2015 13:39
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from EllessePhotography
You could also look into building a high end PC (easier to do than you think, and cheaper than a mac pro) and then use mac software with it - just do a search for "hackingtosh" - one link below

http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604

Unfortunately not in compliance with the Apple software licensing as it says something about only licensed for use on Apple hardware.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
27 January 2015 14:23
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Take your point, just mentioned it as many people have done this before without any major problems...

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 January 2015 14:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The hackingtosh concept has been going around ever since I can remember with home computing (earliest memory was ~1987 on modified Atari STs that used the 68000 processor just like Macs did at the time). IIRC you couldn't actually buy one or be supplied one by a third party (otherwise their lawyers would come down like a ton of bricks) but you could buy the constituent parts and do your own at home (afterall it's unlikely they'll know and regardless of licensing terms it's unlikely they'll chase you for your own machine).  If I remember correctly on the Ataris you had to solder a particular ROM chip yourself onto a daughterboard (again, nobody would do it for you), other than that it was relatively straight forward.

I personally don't understand the fascination with Macs. They're nothing special, arguably underpowered for the money and I can't see the benefit personally over a PC. Obviously if there's exclusive software & hardware then it's a no brainer (eg. video editing package or sound recording console) but for software thats available on both systems it doesn't make sense to change over to me (no matter how many people keep telling me, they've never offered a convincing reason).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

HowardJ is off-line
27 January 2015 15:04
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from EllessePhotography
Take your point, just mentioned it as many people have done this before without any major problems...

Indeed they have, but Apple will have fun one day as they'll be logging their IP addresses for future use as the machines show up as having non-standard configurations and with the new laws they'll be able to tie the IP address to a particular physical address at a point in time.

You can buy hackintoshes on eBay made to order.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Chloejade25 LunaDaze
ajsphotography Argentiq bbphotos colinpierce djb1 dorrian eyecandiphotography frankfoto geoffmarchant GSC4X James7799 john_at_tina_spice Kjoservices lenscape mauricesimagery mike0048 nik300 ron rscott360 siclews stevegosh steveh32 thelook vapourtrail vincent Willjamieson