This thread is being watched by 1 person
Andy Johnstone is off-line
02 November 2014 03:58
photomane9
Photographer
photomane9
London
Bexleyheath

For those who haven't already seen it, there's an interesting polemic on the current state of photography here on The Register.

Profile Pictures is off-line
02 November 2014 08:02
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Quite interesting, wish he'd spent more time explaining digital backs on older medium format gear though.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
02 November 2014 08:46
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

As well as technical aspects, there is, in my opinion, a different ' mindset' with medium, and even more so large format photography, in the slower, more contemplative nature of the approach.

Anthonygh is off-line
02 November 2014 10:14
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I have just loaded three backs for a shoot later: like a lot of photographers, I appreciate film, don't contemplate giving it up anytime yet; and recently read that film sales are on the up.

My point is that if one understands ones tools then the 'digital issue' is no more an issue than a competent artist deciding whether to use oil or water colours for a landscape....the artist goes for what 'works' for the task at hand ...and that can be a combination of using the right media and the pleasure a particular technique gives. I use MF because I enjoy it and film because I like the result.

I also use a FF DSLR and 35mm film...and the camera I use the most is my G1X because I carry it with me the most.Although I sometimes take a 35mm RF with me as it is only slightly larger.

I thought the article was a drawn out way of not saying much of interest to be honest.

kjlewis is off-lineSilver Member
03 November 2014 03:10
kjlewis
Photographer

Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Perhaps most interesting is the observation that sales of SLR cameras are tanking now too; the iPhone, apparently, is good enough, weighs (much) less, and is always available.

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 November 2014 04:27
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from profilepictures
Quite interesting, wish he'd spent more time explaining digital backs on older medium format gear though.

Oh I don't know - I thought it was quite simple!

"It was then simple to obtain an old Mamiya 645 Pro body on eBay and to hack it to provide a trigger signal.A small amount had to be milled away from the backplate of the camera to get the sensor plane to line up with the old film plane, and a small plate was needed to couple the items "

smiley
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 November 2014 05:09
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures

There's quite a few problems to this which would explain its lack of uptake...

There's little investment in this area now, or rather it doesn't seem to be concentating on driving costs down and you're just as well to buy a whole new camera & back together.

Hasselblad have done a lot to kill the market on this, especially with their H-series cameras as they can only accept Hasselblad backs (some coded signals are used between camera and digital back to verify this) which means no third party backs for their cameras.

35mm is of good enough quality to mean that people aren't that interested in MF.  I'd certainly argue that you could probably get better images from (say) a D800 than you could from a 645 film (once you factor scanning into the equation and subsequent film grain), and I'd dare to suggest that a D800 would even give 6x7 a run for its money.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

03 November 2014 05:34
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I don't know first hand, having never played with mf and digital backs, but having tried lens' on a broncs was aware that mf gave awesome shallow dof and oof bokeh. If you compare a crop and a 35mm at the same ISO, noise is considerably less problematic as signal to noise ratio reduces, so I'm making an educated guess that this will follow significantly for a digi mf too?
Truth is a new set up with lens and accessories in mf is likely never to be affordable or justifiable, particularly with two cameras in our money making set up, but it'd be fun to play with older high quality gear with modern sensor attached I think?

03 November 2014 05:36
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

As for modification to allow a trigger signal, milling bodies and making effective adapters to match focal planes, it's hardly the work of the average guy with average tools available; I'd guess unless you know a well equipped hobbyist engineer and have access to the relevant calculations required, it'd be a shot in the dark, or utter cluster of a job.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 November 2014 05:45
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Notice I was comparing 35mm digital to MF film.

MF digital is in another league altogether, both in terms of quality and most importantly price, although IIRC you can get a Mamiya for ~£8000 which compared to (say) a 1Dx at ~£5000 isn't too bad.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Chloejade25 LunaDaze
ajsphotography Argentiq bbphotos colinpierce djb1 dorrian eyecandiphotography frankfoto geoffmarchant GSC4X James7799 john_at_tina_spice Kjoservices lenscape mauricesimagery mike0048 nik300 ron rscott360 siclews stevegosh steveh32 thelook vapourtrail vincent Willjamieson