Reminder Secure

Video editing advice needed....

Anthonygh is online
23 September 2014 10:31
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Thanks for all the advice...lots to think about!!

Will be doing a second shoot soon...this time planing the sequence, doing story boards etc, so the basic content will be better. I will give CC more attention as I was impressed by what can be achieved according to the on-line tutorial I saw...but will give iMovie a look as well since I have it already.

My Christmas present to myself this year will be the latest iMac so if I can function with my current machine things can only get better in a couple of months.....

Simon Chan is off-line
24 September 2014 01:17
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Surprise your 2009 iMAC struggle with video files from a G1X. The latest iMAC can cope with cameras outputting 10bit Prores and higher end iMac for 2.5k uncompress Cinema.DNG files so unless you have plans for such cameras it is a bit overkill.

HowardJ is off-line
24 September 2014 09:38
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from Chandos
Surprise your 2009 iMAC struggle with video files from a G1X. The latest iMAC can cope with cameras outputting 10bit Prores and higher end iMac for 2.5k uncompress Cinema.DNG files so unless you have plans for such cameras it is a bit overkill.

Indeed

Anthonygh is online
24 September 2014 09:52
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

the latest iMac is somewhat more powerful than mine...sad to say. But how much data needs to be held in RAM when editing a ten minute clip? Which was nearly 3GB straight from the camera.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 September 2014 10:28
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
the latest iMac is somewhat more powerful than mine...sad to say. But how much data needs to be held in RAM when editing a ten minute clip? Which was nearly 3GB straight from the camera.

Video editing doesn't need a huge amount of memory (compared to (say) photo editing), what it does need is plenty of CPU horsepower and very fast storage as it works by effectively 'streaming' the data through the system (it doesn't hold it in memory).  Most modern video editors (pro versions) also utilise the processing power of graphics cards to speed up effects etc.

For the record, my 6/7 year old PC (only 4GB RAM, 1st generation quad-core processor, crap video card and mechanical hard drives) can process 1080P video in almost real-time using Sony Vegas (~20-25 FPS) when exporting along with verious effects like text overlay, fades etc.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

diipii is off-line
02 October 2014 13:16
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Good video editing is nothing to do with the software/computer/camera. Stick with iMovie, it's no more difficult than anything else out there and you already have it.
p.s There are no quick fixes. Life doesn't work like that.
It only happens all the time.

phlip  (as in, flip) is off-lineGold Member
03 October 2014 06:30
phlip
Photographer

Worcestershire
Nr. Kidderminster

Quote from diipii
Good video editing is nothing to do with the software/computer/camera. Stick with iMovie, it's no more difficult than anything else out there and you already have it.
p.s There are no quick fixes. Life doesn't work like that.

Well you live and learn! How would iMovie have coped with a recent job I had where c. 20 tracks / takes of video had to be synched to an audio track?

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Bonnylad27 lynnesel mandymack miles sarahjane1 skykantara1
a24udi anthonyh cliffc Dave@studio99 dorrian Dphphotography Essexjohn expicto firsttake geoffmarchant GerryS2 Iain9uk James7799 jpegster kaosrox Ladiesman markeos50d mg p4pFetography photosareu rscott360 Scotography stevebenson steveh32 TerryXX99 Willjamieson