Reminder Secure

35mm negative scanners

David Hunt is off-line
09 September 2014 09:16
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

I have come upon some of my old negatives, most of which are still in rolls, and some which have been sliced by the lab.

I was just wondering if the 5MP CMOS scanners that I have seen around would be adequate to scan these old films? The original image quality is probably not going to be great, so I do not need anything too expensive.

I still have my old PF 3600 Pro scanner that I purchased from Jessops blinking years ago, but I do not think it will work with Windows 8. I believe I was using it with SE98...

Any useful advise would be appreciated.

Steve Guy is off-line
09 September 2014 16:50
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Best results I've had is by using a digital SLR on a tripod over a small lightbox (auction site £10 inc post). Cheap, quick, once you've got the hang of it, and easy. Some post processing needed for colour negative film but that's not too difficult. Slides are a doddle.

Neil Anderson is off-line
10 September 2014 01:08
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from dhuntuk
I have come upon some of my old negatives, most of which are still in rolls, and some which have been sliced by the lab.

I was just wondering if the 5MP CMOS scanners that I have seen around would be adequate to scan these old films? The original image quality is probably not going to be great, so I do not need anything too expensive.

I still have my old PF 3600 Pro scanner that I purchased from Jessops blinking years ago, but I do not think it will work with Windows 8. I believe I was using it with SE98...

Any useful advise would be appreciated.

You can probably use your old scanner with windows 8.
Look at vuescan it supports most scanners.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Aegean is off-line
16 September 2014 03:18
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

I use an old Minolta Dimage II slide/negative scanner linked using a SCSI card under Windows 7 and the excellent VueScan Pro scanner software by Hamrick which has the calibrations in for virtually every make and model of negative film.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

OldMaster is off-line
21 September 2014 13:06
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Good suggestions..but look at the Plusteks, very well priced and resolution well above the grain of 35mm negs (7,200 theoretical) and slides. Comes with Silver fast and nice features like multi scan and dust & scratch removal (which works apparently) and you could of course also download Vuescan which many swear by.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 September 2014 15:22
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from OldMaster
Good suggestions..but look at the Plusteks, very well priced and resolution well above the grain of 35mm negs (7,200 theoretical) and slides. Comes with Silver fast and nice features like multi scan and dust & scratch removal (which works apparently) and you could of course also download Vuescan which many swear by.

Take their theoretical resolution with a very big pinch of salt. I read a review of them recently and their practical resolving power is more like ~2500DPI IIRC, the Nikon Coolscan is still the king although sadly long out of production (I seem to remember the test resolved to ~3500 DPI), so I can only assume Nikon scanners used far superior optics for the sensors in them.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

David Nuttall is off-lineSilver Member
24 September 2014 10:58
DavidN
Photographer

Kent
Dartford

Quote from AegeanSoft
I use an old Minolta Dimage II slide/negative scanner linked using a SCSI card under Windows 7 and the excellent VueScan Pro scanner software by Hamrick which has the calibrations in for virtually every make and model of negative film.

Can I ask you what SCSI card do you use and is it 32- or 64-bit?

Anthonygh is off-line
24 September 2014 15:42
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

There was a gadget around for duplicating slides...fitted to a camera like a lens, but the end had a slide holder and the whole thing could be 'zoomed' to get the image in focus. The trick was to point the slide to a neutral light source and take a pic (talking film days here).

Anyway, to cut a long story short....I concocted something similar last year with a cheap lightbox, some cardboard tubing and my Canon G10 on macro setting. Worked really well.....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
26 September 2014 15:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Epson have just announced the replacement for their V700 & V750 flatbed scanners (to be replaced by the V800 and V850 respectively). Not cheap but arguably one of the best options on the market if you want to buy new and quality is of high importance.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
DareMeDD harryking kategrimsby RoxyMendez
andrewf chicimages dannyrich david1500 djb1 dorrian GGDP_Photography gperl ignite Ladiesman mlp parafotos PDCPhotos penfold10 psn redmedia Studio1 Thunder_Photos
harbourstudio