Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
07 September 2014 05:58
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from IainT
Well, market forces are what dictates who gets paid and who doesn't.

Quote from IainT
Its the job of a Professional photographer to make a girl a model. Give me the raw material and I'll produce the goods. If I can't, then the girl really is a no hoper or I'm in the wrong job.

Quote from IainT
Sure its easier if the girl is actually a model, but "real" models on portfolio hosting sites are a rare breed. A shoot with a "real" model is a bonus and an easy day for me or any good photographer, but I earn my money by making girls look like models, most of the time I shoot who I'm told to shoot. Thats what a Pro photographer does.

Quote from IainT
As an amateur, you do your research, you pay your money, you take your choice, if you make a bad choice, you have to take responsibility for it

(though it is not only the amateur photographer who has to accept responsibility for bad choice of model.)

Quote from IainT
As for "Professional" in relation to modelling, its a rare thing and is nothing to do with income. A handfull of models take their career seriously and can be classed as Professional, the majority are simply playing at being a model and if blokes who want to see them naked are willing to pay for the privilige, why should they turn the money down?

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
07 September 2014 07:08
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from photostore

most likely the reasons  for a lot modelling on these forums are:

I'm genuinly interested and want to try this, usually scared away within a fortnight once their mailbox fills up with dodgy requests
I hate doing this but  it's a quick way to pay off my debts
im between jobs/college
it's just an addition to my sex worker income (or another avenue to paid sex work punters ) oh no he did'nt really say that did he ? yep i sure did !
im going to be the next big thing (delusional)
the list is long and varied

Maybe or maybe not. But none of the models' motives that you've speculated about above are relevant to your original question, which was whether it suffices for the model to be pretty.

When I select a model, her motives for modelling are not only unknown to me; they are also none of my business and, frankly, of little consequence as long as the model is suitable for the job.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
07 September 2014 09:32
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from photostore
if i am paying i would not expect to have to describe every pose to you and have to spend more time doing "your job" rather than mine.

Why are you paying then, that shounds more like a TF shoot ?

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
08 September 2014 15:48
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Yes, they want paid and good luck to them.
If you don't think a model meets your requirements don't hire them.
There are excellent models on here and other sites, so choose the ones that you want.
Don't worry at how others want to make their living.

If you think that you have an idea that will improve a models port offer TF. If they don't want to do it then that is their purview. It is not something to make personal.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

EdT is off-line
09 September 2014 02:17
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
Yes, they want paid and good luck to them.
If you don't think a model meets your requirements don't hire them.
There are excellent models on here and other sites, so choose the ones that you want.
Don't worry at how others want to make their living.

In a nutshell, this.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
09 September 2014 17:10
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from photostore
...is it enough to be pretty?
.... getting the tits out

Slim, pretty and naked is all I need.

I'm good enough to get decent results from a total beginner.

Mind you, the great models are worth every penny.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

OldMaster is off-line
10 September 2014 11:14
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

This has been discussed before..I think!! As much as I agree to some extent it is the market that decides. As long as guys are happy to pay girls, whatever their skills, to take their clothes off, they will continue to take the money to do so.

It works both ways of course, as long as guys who have bought a dslr choose to call themselves togs, girls who stand in ways they never would normally or show their body parts to men with cameras will call themselves models?

EdT is off-line
10 September 2014 14:30
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from OldMaster
This has been discussed before..I think!! As much as I agree to some extent it is the market that decides. As long as guys are happy to pay girls, whatever their skills, to take their clothes off, they will continue to take the money to do so.

That's the market deciding.

10 September 2014 18:26
paulbatterbury
Photographer

Can’t believe I only just stopped this thread until now.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion around at the moment, and I think the kicking off point on this topic are very valid, don’t from my observations alone but from other professional model nearing the end of their careers.

I am finding it hard to replace great models, who are now quitting modeling with the new models that are currently “coming up” to fill the void, they just are not cutting it, those who do seem to be snapped up in complete desperation by agencies, who are quick enough to get them to sign an exclusive agreement because they themselves are in dire straights, which is ok, if they get work, but what most do is get attitude for no reason at all, and rightly said some of these new girls can not function as a model, even with direction and sometime as a photographer it is so frustrating when a girl looks uncomfortable in every pose she makes, because she does not have the confidence or experience, it a waste of time and money.

Then you have almost a complete contradiction, where new and attractive models spend out on trips away and supply the photographers with images for website in return for a few under par shots at best, or throw themselves at the latest photographer who only has one style of shooting regardless if it is TFP or they paid them, the models that can and want to work, who are abused by the system and quit quickly due to being exploited.

Feedback, I always try and leave feedback for everyone I work with, I try to leave something about the way the person has act, in term of professional contact and personality. When I read thing like “she has a great figure” or “she is stunning” like hello and can see her images, and it seem more that whoever left the comments was more frilled to be with the model in the same room, than focused on a photo shoot with them.

Being pretty or young really doesn’t cut it, being a good versatile and flexible model (in terms of style and look.) is, and this is why some girls get ahead quicker and why photographers sometime work with the same model on many occasions. You can look great, but if you have a face that looks like thunder and an attitude, word soon gets about (off the record) and you will miss work offers.

More recently I was turn down by a model, via her agent who was in confusion why she turn down the job and after some digging around, it turn out that she was charging £600 an hour for other services. I don’t have an issue with anyone doing this kind of work for a living, but if you say you are a professional model, then modeling comes first.
Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
charlotte90
ad360photo boss1968 Cg123 cgr dave@studio99 doughnut GGDP_Photography Keithhendy LGI michael_cameraman Njsphotography roger forrester Rupert Simon_M