Pregnancy Shoot Advice Needed

RichieRebel Photography is off-line
30 August 2014 03:10
DPHPhotography
Photographer

Hampshire
New Forest / Southampton

Hi all,

A friend of mine has asked me to do a pregnancy shoot with her when she is a bit bigger. I've never done anything like that before and I really want to make sure I get some great pictures for her. I've got a bit of time to practice so that's good, but I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some tips on poses and lighting?

I've had a look around the web and found some nice images to try and replicate, but any advice from someone who has done one of these shoots before would be greatly appreciated!

Rich

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
30 August 2014 04:01
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I do quite a few of these and that includes 'real' mums not just models. Best time to do them is 4 to six weeks before term, as this is when the bump looks its biggest without too much risk of events catching you out (closest I have had so far is baby arriving 17 hour later!)

First thing is to forget your current lighting setup. It is crap for bumps. You need to have far more directional lighting. Generally I have it at 90 degrees or even slightly behind for the main light. Strip soft-boxes work very well. Give a softness to the change from light to shadow but still plenty of form. Personally I find plain backgrounds work best.

GO on the net and find a selection of images you like and of course feel able to reproduce to show her. This helps give an idea of what sort of style she prefers and also what she is comfortable doing. Getting Dad involved helps to give more range but of course if you are not doing this for the cash that is less of an issue. Try to arrange a female assistant too if you are doing images in lingerie or less. Remember this is not a professional model. I have some shear maternity dresses that helps the more nervous mums feel less exposed.

Oh worth buying loads of voil. Fairly cheap and can be wrapped round, blown with fans and generally used to hide panties boobs etc.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Jaye  is off-line
30 August 2014 04:12
jessicard
Model
This member has been reset to pending
jessicard
Vale of Glamorgan
Cardiff

Always good to have loose, maybe open garments like shirts etc, I think that looks cute with them open and bump visible. Always have model turn to the side as full frontal shots rarely look pregnant! I can't advise for light set up etc but as a pregnant model myself I'd say try and make sure model has breaks when she needs to and plenty of water!
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

RichieRebel Photography is off-line
01 September 2014 08:44
DPHPhotography
Photographer

Hampshire
New Forest / Southampton

Excellent advice! Thank you! I've been having a look around and trying to practice a few lighting setups and I'm feeling a little better about doing the shoot now.

Samantha Duell is off-line
03 September 2014 14:17
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
Cambridgeshire
whittlesey

thanks for asking this question as i my self are doing a bump shoot soon

advice is great aswell as ive just set up my studio at home and will be 1st shoot i will do in it

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs isobel111 zavego
ad360photo ansonphotography belmez2000 Blancho cygnet dorrian Essexjohn eyecandiphotography Gentleguy gwentman Jobe JohnDentonPhoto jonnywoo M1chae15 mlp nickdandalos p4pFetography parafotos Pictureimage rikspiks stephenmuddell stevegosh thelook tms