Windows 8

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2014 14:08
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Must be a simple answer to this, How do you rotate pictures to correctly orientate them, ie pictures taken in portrait end up 90 degrees one way, I am just downloading them from card onto computers hard drive, As most probably know in windows 7 there is a arrow kind of thing that lets you do this but can't seem to find anything in this crazy mixed up software.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2014 14:53
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

First task with any Windoze 8 Machine is to install and configure Classic Shell Thankfully Chillblast do this as a matter of course on their machines if you are silly enough to specify version 8. I have never even looked at that wretched tiled screen and will be perfectly happy with things staying that way. Boots straight to desktop and that is where it stays. Sory not a lot of use, other than it may have the function you are missing added back in. That said I have never seen the arrows you mention in either Vista or Windows 7! I import using Lightroom though and sort anything that has not auto rotated later.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Mark London is off-line
19 August 2014 10:39
MarkLondon
Photographer

London
London

Start 8 is also an excellent program to return the Windows 8 interface back to something more usable and familiar

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Bill_M is off-line
19 August 2014 17:42
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Here is a screen grab of the Windows 8 Photo Viewer with the "rotate" icons at the bottom of the screen circled in red.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
20 August 2014 02:22
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Bill_M
Here is a screen grab of the Windows 8 Photo Viewer with the "rotate" icons at the bottom of the screen circled in red.

Yes but that does not rotate the photo permanently. Only in Photoviewir. Same as version 7. I'm guessing the OP uses windows to import the images onto disk from the card and is referring to a function in the import dialogue. As I don't use windows for this I cannot be much help. I have auto rotate set in camera and the odd one it gets wrong I alter in Lightroom.

I suppose another option would be to get one of the many free programs that are around like irfanview and use that instead.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

G Jack B is off-line
20 August 2014 09:01
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Yes it does rotate it permanently. as does hightlight them in an explorer window and "right clicking" and selecting rotate left/right.
Windows 8 is easy to use - the app based front screen is easy to avoid so I have found no need of any other addons.

Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
20 August 2014 11:15
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from MarkLondon
Start 8 is also an excellent program to return the Windows 8 interface back to something more usable and familiar http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

How does Start 8 or Classic Shell help to rotate a image ?

Paul Hodson is off-line
20 August 2014 12:14
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from PHP_Photography
How does Start 8 or Classic Shell help to rotate a image ?

Probably doesn't - just keeps you sane!   wink
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

G Jack B is off-line
20 August 2014 14:44
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Maybe some of the PC ludites on here should go back to their old darkrooms and use pen and paper....
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

MERCMAN is off-line
20 August 2014 15:30
mercman
Photographer
mercman
Merseyside
Kirkby

Bit laborious but in your downloaded folder ,highlight and right click , then rotate .   I'm sure you can highlight all that need rotating at once though .

Edit  .I think this only works with Jpg

37 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexa_Fierce92 chosin DareMeDD ElleLaura
ad360photo bbphotos Brian2008 carshaltonkev Chris_Mansfield ChrisD Development digitalmood dirkus donaldmac Essexjohn hylander iDubai2018 Kimily Kjoservices Look_Sharp maozhu Mike103 mlp modelimaging monochromeset nigel peteb poah Rhadamanthus rod_m99 Shootonlocation siclews stephenmuddell stevegosh steveh32 thelook zzdigital