Reminder Secure

Anyone considering a D800 to D810 upgrade ?

Star Shots is off-lineSilver Member
25 July 2014 05:58
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

Is the difference big enough to spend your hard earned on ?

25 July 2014 06:07
paule
Photographer

I wasn't until I took a dunking in a duck pond...

at first glance there didn't seem to be much / enough of a difference to me.. then I looked a little deeper.. I like the: expose for highlight in spot meter and Group focal points.. I shoot mainly weddings and I can see me using both.

I also like the Expeed 4 processor.. and hope that focus is faster and more accurate.

sRAW (though doubt I'd use it)

I'd not have bought/upgraded it, if, my original D800 was still working.. however I would pay the extra if I was considering all 3 for the first time.

It arrived the other day so will be using it for the first time tomorrow.. as 2nd camera.. for a wedding..

I had hoped to shoot a couple of models this week though couldn't agree times and date.. all last min..

* SIGNIFICANTLY quieter shutter.. it turns out.. that will be a bonus in quiet churches..

Steve M is off-line
25 July 2014 14:30
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
London

Quieter shutter is tempting, apparently the buffer is larger than D800 as well.
I live for the nights that I can't remember / with the people that I can't forget

Razoir is off-line
26 July 2014 09:53
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

I was after a D800E to couple with my existing D800 as they are different beasts and not simply interchangeable. However, as the D810 came out at the time I was due to get the E I went for the 10. Released on the 17th. July and was actually dispatched by Nikon to the dealer on 17th and I got mine on 18th. !

If I was running an E I might not be inclined to upgrade from E to 10 but choosing between an E and a 10, it was no contest. Wider ISO range, down to ISO 64 and up to 12800. Each end with the 3 extra undefined changes. Shoots faster, with better buffer. The sensor is new, made especially to work without the anti-alias filter, so fewer problems with moire.

If anyone is looking at the choice between an E and a 10, the 10 is clearly the better choice for very little price difference.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Nicetwocu is off-line
26 July 2014 19:05
Nicetwocu
Photographer

Lancashire

This is a thorough initial review :

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-d810-initial-impressi.html

Hope it helps. Cheers.

OldMaster is off-line
29 July 2014 17:57
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

A worthwhile new version I think...iso64, focus magnifier and their clever new lp filter which isn't a filter! New lcd and improved video I think running 50/60 fps..not that aspect interests me.

Its a baffling camera isn't it...36.3mp ff, 15.7mp dx and better noise performance than their 12mp offerings..except may be the D3s. In terms of performance, probably the best ff dslr on the market unless you shoot sport or press.Already pushing the glass there could be little reason to ever need anything else...where do they go from here?

Mike Blissett is off-line
30 July 2014 14:43
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

lm sure if l buy a D810 my images will be so superior to the D800 that only l will be able to tell the
diffence . Its marketing at its best !

PeterB is off-lineGold Member
30 July 2014 19:44
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Surrey
Hampton Court

I was seriously considering a 1Ds3 to D800E upgrade, the D810 makes it almost inevitable.

Razoir is off-line
31 July 2014 17:38
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from MikeBee
lm sure if l buy a D810 my images will be so superior to the D800 that only l will be able to tell the diffence . Its marketing at its best !

I'll take you word for it!

The spec. on the 810 is very different and IF the differences are relevent to your practice then they make a big difference. I NEED 36MgPix files as that is what my clients need. If you are shooting stuff that is not micro-critical  for max. resolution, then maybe not. I well remember the guy I knew who always insisted on the very BEST glass, the very BEST camera and did indeed produce some good work. S|HOT THROUGH A SOFTFOCUS FILTER!!!

It's horses for courses.

I have talked my clients down from 60Mg.Pix files. Now THAT is marketing!

Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Mike Blissett is off-line
01 August 2014 00:16
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

Quote from JeromeRazoir
I'll take you word for it!

The spec. on the 810 is very different and IF the differences are relevent to your practice then they make a big difference. I NEED 36MgPix files as that is what my clients need. If you are shooting stuff that is not micro-critical  for max. resolution, then maybe not. I well remember the guy I knew who always insisted on the very BEST glass, the very BEST camera and did indeed produce some good work. S|HOT THROUGH A SOFTFOCUS FILTER!!!

It's horses for courses.

I have talked my clients down from 60Mg.Pix files. Now THAT is marketing!

[/qt

I do have to agree that its horses for courses and at times and its for this reason l find using my Hasselbald a complete dream when l need the ultimate quality..The D800 is a great camera that has only been around a short time, its a great tool and camera lm proud to own.However Nikon l sure already have a D820 complete with 45Mg sensor on the drawing board, its progress and still marketing at its very best..

Now where did leave my film cameras,time to play!

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
RoxyMendez
andygstudios anthonyh bbphotos Belemboo Clickrshots cliffc davejohn davkit djb1 flashbangwallop Funder005 grin2009 HarishPadalia JRFox Ladiesman Matt1988 mlp nemesis peterh Pmeswani poah redbaron rscott360 RupertRudd simpson_shoots sinimiphotography skymouse Thelfcdude888 thestarglider xposed zzdigital
Matt