Reminder Secure

Deep Breath!!

21 July 2014 01:28
Spudgun2309
Photographer

Hello fellow Purestormers,
I would appreciate some feedback on the images
in my portfolio. Good or bad!
It's a steep learning curve for a beginner.
Am I on the right track?
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
22 July 2014 05:29
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Hi, Thought I'd add something to the discussion!

As there are nine pics I'll run through them in order. You'll find some of my thoughts are around post processing as well as the photography, in my opinion they are totally dependant on each other.

Main, Looks a bit soft, I'd try and get larger down loads up if you can 436 by 640 is small and might be part of the problem, the harsh full on face light has burnt out part of the face and some sort of process? has created a ripple effect across part of the face or the models skin is slightly pitted, either way its not flattering light! End result is the model looks more masculine than feminine.

2, This heavy high contrast process has left the model with some strong under eye lines and cheek lines that I don't think flatter, you could remove them easily, There's no hair detail and it looks like a face floating in space, I think if you gave the model a separation via detail from the background it would be better. again it looks soft and scale might be an issue.

3 The reverse of 2, I think its better but personally I'd like to see the left shoulder and left side of the face, where it morphs into nothing the body can look deformed if not careful, these high and low contrast though are great to play with, its what the eye can't see but the camera can and the mystic does inspire some creative play

4, Not a big fan of the pose which I do see as your responsibility, almost burnt out skin and a harsh shadow across the left shoulder, might be better getting the model into shade, crop a bit tight across head.

5, Better in shade but soft, looks like foliage is slightly sharper, back light helping define body, strong shadow from leaf, are you using on camera flash?

6, Its ok, skin a bit blown on left side of her face, I'd remove the scares but that's personal choice, pose ok but very tight head shots challenge the best of models.

7, Pay attention to hands and how they look in the frame,her right hand looks to big and needs softening down, hair not highlighted and really the balance isn't right there's too much of the coat in the bottom of the frame.

8, I can see the hem/pole in he top of the background, her left hip could be slightly reduced, the belly lines look like caesarian marks where I suspect its just tight trouser/pant lines, you can remove them. Lighting is better but I'd drop lower and give her more stature.

9, Same model, for me it needs more contrast, not keen on the soft look, if I was really picky I'd colour in the hair parting as I think its distracting. She's defo a model showcasing your work to a better level and I'd include more of that session and build from there.

TBH, we all start off learning as we go and as long as you analyse what you do, over time things will slowly come together. Really focus on light (obvious) and post production work too, hope it goes well for you here on PS

Dominic

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 July 2014 06:21
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from dominicdgt
Hi, Thought I'd add something to the discussion!

As there are nine pics I'll run through them in order. You'll find some of my thoughts are around post processing as well as the photography, in my opinion they are totally dependant on each other.

Main, Looks a bit soft, I'd try and get larger down loads up if you can 436 by 640 is small and might be part of the problem, the harsh full on face light has burnt out part of the face and some sort of process? has created a ripple effect across part of the face or the models skin is slightly pitted, either way its not flattering light! End result is the model looks more masculine than feminine.

2, This heavy high contrast process has left the model with some strong under eye lines and cheek lines that I don't think flatter, you could remove them easily, There's no hair detail and it looks like a face floating in space, I think if you gave the model a separation via detail from the background it would be better. again it looks soft and scale might be an issue.

3 The reverse of 2, I think its better but personally I'd like to see the left shoulder and left side of the face, where it morphs into nothing the body can look deformed if not careful, these high and low contrast though are great to play with, its what the eye can't see but the camera can and the mystic does inspire some creative play

4, Not a big fan of the pose which I do see as your responsibility, almost burnt out skin and a harsh shadow across the left shoulder, might be better getting the model into shade, crop a bit tight across head.

5, Better in shade but soft, looks like foliage is slightly sharper, back light helping define body, strong shadow from leaf, are you using on camera flash?

6, Its ok, skin a bit blown on left side of her face, I'd remove the scares but that's personal choice, pose ok but very tight head shots challenge the best of models.

7, Pay attention to hands and how they look in the frame,her right hand looks to big and needs softening down, hair not highlighted and really the balance isn't right there's too much of the coat in the bottom of the frame.

8, I can see the hem/pole in he top of the background, her left hip could be slightly reduced, the belly lines look like caesarian marks where I suspect its just tight trouser/pant lines, you can remove them. Lighting is better but I'd drop lower and give her more stature.

9, Same model, for me it needs more contrast, not keen on the soft look, if I was really picky I'd colour in the hair parting as I think its distracting. She's defo a model showcasing your work to a better level and I'd include more of that session and build from there.

TBH, we all start off learning as we go and as long as you analyse what you do, over time things will slowly come together. Really focus on light (obvious) and post production work too, hope it goes well for you here on PS

Dominic

Whilst most of your points are very fair, I think you are wrong about the main photo. It isn't anything to do with the size of the photo uploaded, just look at the blue line, that is nice and clear. I think some particularly horrid filter has been applied and/or a small photo has been upsized in processing.

I was a bit confused as there are actually 10 pics, and I think it's the 10th that you haven't commented on. That seems pretty much the best photo to me, but could do with having the whites of the eyes nearer to white, I think a little increase to the contrast and a little general lightening would be my preference to achieve this, although a tiny bit of local lightening on the whites of eyes might work.

[addressing original post]
I think in general the compositions are reasonable, but the lighting and post-processing leave quite a lot of room for improvement. Improving these is relatively easy with practice and a few tips (compared to learning composition) so just press on......

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Profile Pictures is off-line
22 July 2014 13:21
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

The last picture has a little glimmer of hope, but you've cloned about with a similar portrait in your main picture, effectively ruining it for me.

Given the odd blue border there, the selective colouring elsewhere and fairly lukewarm composition through the rest of the pictures; it may be our tastes vary wildly and perhaps you are developing your own style? In that case my views will become even less relevant in time than they are now.

For technical pointers you've a tendency to overexpose, and whilst it can be interesting, here it's coming across as accidental. Not knowing how experienced you are it's hard to offer advice without risking further potential insult but if you're a total newbie, not too bad so far, if you've some time and experience under yor belt I'd suggest having a hard think about how you'll alter your course.

Paul Jones is off-line
22 July 2014 16:01
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Spudgun2309
I would appreciate some feedback on the images in my portfolio. Good or bad!
It's a steep learning curve for a beginner. Am I on the right track?

I think it's great that you're not afraid to experiment and are bent on developing your own style.

The main point I would make is that in photographing people the 'photography' is only half of the process.  An important aspect, often overlooked, is 'coaching' the person in front of your lens in order to get the best expression from them.  (Watch some Youtube videos by Sue Bryce and Peter Hurley to see what I mean)

When I look at your portfolio I don't see many expressions that look natural or attractive (to me).

This lady looks a bit Paul_Jones is a naughty person ed off in the three photos

This lady looks a bit  I'm not sure what

This lady looks a bit nervous

My three favourite photos on your current portfolio are:

I honestly don't think the rest of the photos are helping your portfolio.

These are all just my personal opinions, so feel free to take from them what you will.

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa ElleLaura fernandarevelo glamourdolly Kacie
AClarkePhoto aprilscherz3 Arterotica chicimages Elegant_element hjphoto KosupureUK mamamiya mlp modelboutique oro psn Thunder_Photos trouble72
Matt