SecurDisc recording technology

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 July 2014 05:39
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Has anyone used this in regards to the data integrity feature?

Has there been problems by people trying to read the discs?

I'm thinking it could be handy to give out to people in this format so there's less chance of problems reading the files but obviously it's as good as useless if it can only be read on the source machine.  I've tried Googling it but all I can find is marketing bullet points on this technology and little in the way of technical questions, answers and details descriptions of how it works.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
03 July 2014 05:55
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

I have many many 24 year old TDK CDs with data on them - every one so far has been readable.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

03 July 2014 06:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I actually think the quality of discs has dropped over time (some recent discs have been dreadful) but regardless SecurDisc's redundancy feature intrigues me, especially as it's free (in that it ultilises spare space on the disc from each burn for the redundancy data).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
05 July 2014 06:20
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I recal seeing an email from Nero about this as it is part of there new suit details are here:
http://www.nero.com/eng/company/about-nero/securdisc.php

Seems you need special software to read it, which is what I rather assumed and I presume too that the total storage capacity will be much lower.

From a personal perspective I think the CD and DVD are pretty much dead as a storage device now. Apple no longer install them by default into their machines and the storage capacity and convenience simply does not get close to usb devices.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

05 July 2014 07:37
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I still use CDs/DVDs regularly either as a first stage of backups after a shoot or simply for handing to people. I don't wholly trust electronic/mechanical devices (hard drives) to last like a disc will hence the fact I use both mediums (typically 2x optical backups and 2x HDD backups for each shoot). I always burn at a mid-speed (~12-16X) and my discs never seem to have errors but I won't complain if there's extra redundancy I can build into them for free and it's extra piece of mind.

Furthermore I have three external USB burners (2x DVD and 1x BR) so I'm not concerned about everyone else.

There seems to be so little technical information out there about this technology it's hard to know what to make of it. I'm especially curious as to what overheads it needs in terms of space required but Nero seem reluctant to give out specifics. I guess since discs are so cheap I may burn one or two samples and try them out and also test them on work's PC.

05 July 2014 07:57
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Oh, and I believe the discs can be read on normal PCs. It's when you need to access the redundancy portion that you need the special software for it.

I've actually just done a quick test and it takes up quite a lot, ie. 2x redundancy will indeed take up twice the spqace on disc but I can see it being handy if you're sending discs to models that only have a small percentage filled or need a backup of personal documents that fill up a fraction of the disc. As part of the burning process it puts the relevant executables on the disc to read the redundancy in case you need them.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluelah DanielleWx Kacie NikkiLouise93 RoxyMendez Zadi
63jian charliethornton dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 Dphphotography James7799 jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto johnnytog Keithhendy keltica Ladiesman liteangle peteb Rhadamanthus Rupert Spiritofwales stevegosh Stoker thelook zprangz