Reminder Secure

Grey Card

Katie Soze is off-line
06 July 2014 16:51
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
South Yorkshire

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just customise your white balance to tungsten, daylight etc. That always works on my camera.

marlham is off-line
06 July 2014 17:05
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

For product shots accurate white balance is likely to be important - and greater accuracy will be required than simply selecting tungsten, daylight etc from the camera settings. But for your average model shoot the most important thing is to achieve a pleasing skin tone - everything else is secondary IMO. Whilst a grey card (or an appropriate camera setting) might get you close to what's nice (rather than accurate) a bit of judicious post-processing is usually beneficial. So I wouldn't get too hung up about using a grey card - just select the appropriate camera setting as Katie suggests (flash if you're in the studio) and just tweak in post so the skin tone looks good.

Bill_M is off-line
06 July 2014 18:01
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Quote from katiesoze
I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just customise your white balance to tungsten, daylight etc. That always works on my camera.

Both tungsten light and daylight can vary considerably so your pre-sets will not always be absolutely accurate.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 July 2014 01:11
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

All light (not just tungsten and daylight) can vary wildly, and is further complicated by colour variations based on what reflectors & diffusors are used. Lights even vary their colour depending on temperature and age of tubes and capacitors/electronics also.

Obviously this isn't a problem for most people's work and on the whole you can get away with using presets, but if shooting colour-accurate catalogue, archive or forensic work (for example) the need for colour accuracy is paramount and as such even a standard grey card won't cut it (which is where X-Rite cards like the Passport come into play).

Also, most colour settings on a camera refer to the blue/yellow component.  It gets a whole lot more tricky to work with the cyan/magenta component as well.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
07 July 2014 04:44
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from marlhamphoto
For product shots accurate white balance is likely to be important - and greater accuracy will be required than simply selecting tungsten, daylight etc from the camera settings. But for your average model shoot the most important thing is to achieve a pleasing skin tone - everything else is secondary IMO. Whilst a grey card (or an appropriate camera setting) might get you close to what's nice (rather than accurate) a bit of judicious post-processing is usually beneficial. So I wouldn't get too hung up about using a grey card - just select the appropriate camera setting as Katie suggests (flash if you're in the studio) and just tweak in post so the skin tone looks good.

Yes I think I do try a little too hard to get things right. The irony is that the old preset custom settings from my last shoot in the same gym, looks better than my new custom settings. This time I use strobe lighting.

I am happy with the results and do not mind making the occasional tweak in order to achieve a more accurate skin tone. My results should be available for people to see by Wednesday evening; should anyone be interested of course.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Jessica_Knight RoxyMendez
antoinewynn chopper_images colinpierce csk_photography djb1 dorrian Essexjohn eyecandiphotography GGDP_Photography ignite JohnDentonPhoto keltica lify MIB nickdandalos panda49 paulq photosareu poah psn stevegosh TinDolls Tricky7 VB_Photo Vinceb