Grey Card

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
02 July 2014 12:50
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

When working inside with natural light and studio lights I tend to opt for a custom white balance. I'm never quite sure whether I should make sure that I get the grey card to fill my lens, or weather its fine as long as you get most of the grey card in the shot.

All of the grey card in the shot?

Thanks in advance of any helpful replies.

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Fotoshack is off-line
02 July 2014 12:57
onthecouch
Photographer

Hampshire
Reading

we always filled the frame at college, but haven't used a grey card for 15 years
David

02 July 2014 13:25
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from onthecouch
we always filled the frame at college, but haven't used a grey card for 15 years David

Do you find that auto white balance is adequate?

Possibly spot metering.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

David J Severn is off-line
02 July 2014 13:56
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Derbyshire
Derby

If filling the frame what difference would spot metering make, and how the hell does spot metering work with studio flash ?

David J Severn Keeping Life in Focus

02 July 2014 14:11
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from nikondave
If filling the frame what difference would spot metering make, and how the hell does spot metering work with studio flash ?

Apologists, I was under the impression you knew what you were talking about.

Any help from knowledgeable photographers would be very much appreciated.cheeky

02 July 2014 14:16
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Derbyshire
Derby

Anyone care to comment

Dave Beasley is off-line
02 July 2014 15:21
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

First of all, get the exposure of the grey card right, then ideally fill the frame with grey card and follow your cameras Custom WB procedure. In practice I doubt it would make much, if any, difference if the card only filled say 75% of the frame, but why not fill the frame anyway?

I still use grey card or Lastolite Ezybalance on every shoot as I use various umbrellas, softboxes, and both Bowens and ProFoto lights.

Paul Jones is off-line
02 July 2014 15:58
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Ladiesman
When working inside with natural light and studio lights I tend to opt for a custom white balance. I'm never quite sure whether I should make sure that I get the grey card to fill my lens, or weather its fine as long as you get most of the grey card in the shot.

All of the grey card in the shot?

If using the grey card to set a custom white balance in-camera, the way I have done it in the past is to fill all of the frame with the grey.

If shooting RAW you could instead take a reference photo of the model holding a colour check device and then adjust the white balance in the RAW conversion stage.  Consider devices like:

X-Rite Colour Checker Passport  -  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0036ZBUOG/?tag=paujon-21
Digital Grey Card  -  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HDFH6W/?tag=paujon-21

Quote from nikondave
... how the hell does spot metering work with studio flash ?

It doesn't.  One would typically meter each light using a lightmeter / flashmeter, such as:

Sekonic Flashmate L308s lightmeter  -  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BTCJNG/?tag=paujon-21

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

02 July 2014 16:02
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Derbyshire
Derby

It doesn't.  One would typically meter each light using a lightmeter / flashmeter, such as:
Sekonic Flashmate L308s lightmeter  -  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BTCJNG/?tag=paujon-21
Best regards
Paul

I rest my case !

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 July 2014 01:27
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from nikondave
If filling the frame what difference would spot metering make,

+1

Quote from nikondave
and how the hell does spot metering work with studio flash ?

It works exactly the same as you'd use a spot meter with ambient light except that for the reading you'd need to trigger the flash.  Spot metering with flash is handy if you want to check the 'dynamic range' (for want of a better description) of a scene.  Spot meters like Sekonic's L458D can built up multiple readings and display how many stops of range there are for a scene, and it can recommend a middle-value for the camera setting.

If you've gone through the agro of calibrating an L-458D with the appropriate swatch charts it can also understand your camera's dynamic range and warn you accordingly when a range of exposures goes beyond what the camera is capable of capturing.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
wildchief
alanbassettphotography antoinewynn bbphotos bob Brownnwhite ChrisNewton couchestudio djb1 dorrian freddie James7799 keltica lify normant parafotos pcmphotography psn redbaron riddell stevegosh tms xposed