Reminder Secure

CS6

This thread is being watched by 2 people
28 June 2014 10:29
Catuaba
Photographer

I'm currently using CS3 which I have found great for all my work, but as it is a bit outdated now I was wondering about getting CS6 only package from Adobe for £8.78 a month. This includes Lightroom I think too which I have never used, I only ever use DPP and CS3 but I mainly want the photoshop CS6 and also was interested to see it has video editing capabilities although I presume these will be limited. So tools like content aware etc I would benefit from and the slightly improved interface.
My question is: It says requires annual commitment, does this mean you can never cancel it or what? And has anyone else taken the option monthly. Cheers

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
28 June 2014 10:37
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I think CS6 is still available 'complete' stand alone, set of discs, so a 'one off ' buy. The Cloud version, the later and continuing versions are tied to subscription, so one is essentially paying a monthly subscription fee to use the program, including updates, of course. If you cancel, stop paying, the subscription will end and the software cease to work.

28 June 2014 10:40
Catuaba
Photographer

Don't need or want cloud or any storage or sharing options. Just wanted CS6. The more I read about it the more complicated it all looks.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 June 2014 10:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

For £8.78 a month, what you're looking at is NOT CS6, it'll simply be Photoshop CC for which you'll have to pay a subscription for ever more to use it.

If you want CS6 you have to buy the whole thing at ~£660 (unless you've got a copy of CS5 then they'll let you have the upgrade price - the RedChecker is a naughty person s phased out upgrading from older versions of photoshop in order to force people adopt this awful subscription method).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

28 June 2014 12:25
Catuaba
Photographer

Thought it all sounded a bit Think I will stick with cs3 for now. It's served me well so far. Who knows what they will bring out after all this and camera wise too. It's all going a bit far me thinks. Suppose these days there are a tonne more photographers So the markets changing to suit.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
28 June 2014 13:08
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

I love the option to subscribe to both LR and CC though at the current price its great value, I've taken several updates to both, the latest version 15 upgrades improving some useful aspects, focus select, improved content aware move and delete adaptation tool, better font handling and network sharing, enhanced blur gallery. I think with all that built in is great value.

28 June 2014 13:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from dominicdgt
I love the option to subscribe to both LR and CC though at the current price its great value, I've taken several updates to both, the latest version 15 upgrades improving some useful aspects, focus select, improved content aware move and delete adaptation tool, better font handling and network sharing, enhanced blur gallery. I think with all that built in is great value.

If you upgraded regularly anyway (ie. each version) then yes, it's good value but for those of us who only upgraded every second or third it's become a lot more expensive (I'm still on CS4 and it only cost me £230 for the upgrade, in the five years I've owned it the subscription alternative would have cost me ~£500 at its current price, although if you recall it did start off at ~£17 per month just for Photoshop)

Not to mention the fact you're subsequently locked-in with it for ever more being part of a subscription-only service.

There's also issues using the software if you've got no internet connection (say if you're a reporter, or travelling).

I cannot agree it is good value.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
28 June 2014 14:33
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

I'm not sure we need to agree, its under £9.00 a month, so for lots its easy to budget, drop membership here a grade, a coffee at Starbucks and a pie a Greggs each month and Cloud Membership can be free, not sure what internet connection has to do with using the program? Locked in forever, the never ending cycle of upgraded cameras alone make this £108 a year or 25 years +/- of saving £9 a month for your new D810 so insignificant its not worth worrying about, especially when you weigh the benefits, CS5 introduced a refine edge tool worth £100 as a stand alone plug in! Embrace the change my friend, Or I'm happy to send you a working copy of CS6 to play with (windows, I'm guessing Mac?)

28 June 2014 15:10
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It's the principle of it more than anything (I know £10 a month is peanuts).

Anthonygh is off-line
29 June 2014 06:07
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I would suggest the OP considers using LR as the main processing software and stick with CS3 for the stuff he can't do with LR.

He can see how it functions with the 30 day free trial.

Other than that.....s/h copies of CS4, 5 and 6 come up on eBay.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Chloejade25 LunaDaze
ajsphotography Argentiq bbphotos colinpierce djb1 dorrian eyecandiphotography frankfoto geoffmarchant GSC4X James7799 john_at_tina_spice Kjoservices lenscape mauricesimagery mike0048 nik300 ron rscott360 siclews stevegosh steveh32 thelook vapourtrail vincent Willjamieson