Reminder Secure

age limits (Republic of Ireland)

Clive Hevey is off-line
27 June 2014 07:29
scruff
Photographer

Meath

hi all.i was asked by a 16 year old model for lingerie shots (with her perents permission).is this legal in [Republic of] Ireland or is 18 the age for this?have been told by different things by different people.just like to clear it up one way or another.

G Jack B is off-line
27 June 2014 08:18
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

would stay well clear of any shoot involving under 18s in ANY country
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
27 June 2014 08:47
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Plymjack

What on earth for? I simply cannot understand this sort of paranoia. Clearly the shoots need to be appropriate and it is wise to insist on a parent being at the session but otherwise age is a non issue.

I'm not familiar with how Irish law differs from the UK so will not try and respond directly. I did however find this pdf which should give you a few useful guides. From a quick glance it looks similar to the UK but there are variances. For example the definition of a child is subtly different.
http://cnci.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Guidelines_for_taking_images.pdf

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 June 2014 08:55
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from redbaron
What on earth for? I simply cannot understand this sort of paranoia. Clearly the shoots need to be appropriate and it is wise to insist on a parent being at the session but otherwise age is a non issue.

When it comes to things like lingerie the law is often a grey area and down to wide interpretation.

Far safer to simply avoid all doubt and only shoot adults, especially if the photographer is not doing a professional job as this will raise further doubts about their motives.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 June 2014 09:07
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Not to mention the fact that you only need one irritated/over-concerned parent (not necessarily of the person you're shooting) and they can raise merry hell, especially with social media being what it is.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
27 June 2014 09:22
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from RedChecker
Not to mention the fact that you only need one irritated/over-concerned parent (not necessarily of the person you're shooting) and they can raise merry hell, especially with social media being what it is.

Apologies. In trying to find a suitable page  in terms of the country I forgot the part about it being a lingerie shoot.. On that of course it is not about the law but the way others may choose to interpret it, however careful you are. I would suggest shorts and a bikini top as the limit. This is where one of the bigger studios chains draw the line for under 18 sessions.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Anthonygh is off-line
27 June 2014 10:03
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from Plymjack

I didn't read the question as being one that generates your answer...the OP asked a purely technical question, not one inviting personal opinions.

G Jack B is off-line
27 June 2014 12:15
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Was not a personal opinion... since the law extends beyond boarders as is now often reported ... so therefore I would suggest that to avoid any issue whatever the country .... I would avoid a lingerie shoot of any 18 year old...

Just regarding the age of consent issue - it ranges from 12 to 21 across the globe... so it is simpler to avoid the minefield all together.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Clive Hevey is off-line
27 June 2014 14:59
scruff
Photographer

Meath

Thanks for all the advise.not going to do the shoot.not worth the hassle.

Will is off-line
28 June 2014 04:32
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quote from Plymjackwould stay well clear of any shoot involving under 18s in ANY country

School photographers, Prom photographers, family photographers, parents etc clearly do not adhere to this pearl of wisdom.

OP, what the law says is open to intepretation. It is possible to take a photograph of a fully clothed minor whose posing and expressions mean that the image breaks the law. It is also possible to take nudes that do not break the law. However, the latter are more likely to see you being criminalised than the former because of the buttons it will press.

Where there's a Will, there's a way.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin ElleLaura gggggg Kitty_1 latara_18 Littlemiss01 Tashaholz Vickey
AaronKent alexcrawford antoinewynn bbphotos bengie dorrian FlashHarry100 jonnywoo Kjoservices mlp nibs208 oro oscar plld psn Rupert stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos VB_Photo