This thread is being watched by 1 person
ICONIC :P is off-line
15 June 2014 04:19
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

got a d300 need something a that alot better in low light was thinking full frame? but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment so i was looking at the nikon d2x or d2xs? but someone told me they are old and crap so just want some opinions please guys should i wait and get a full frame d700 or d3 or are the d2 cameras good?
pissing purestorm off since 2009

gaffer is off-line
15 June 2014 04:43
gaffer
Photographer
gaffer
East Yorkshire

Once you have experienced full frame you would not want to go back. Seems you are a Nikon guy and probably already have lenses, but for low light the Canon 6d takes some beating.

15 June 2014 07:28
Webbo2
Photographer

If full frame is out of your price range then consider a D7100. I went from a D300 to a D7100 and it is considerably better in low light and dynamic range (although not quite as good as a D700). The other thing about full frame is your lenses, are any of them DX as opposed to FX? As they'd need changing too as well as the body. If any of your lenses are just DX then that's another advantage of the D7100.
EYUP!

marlham is off-line
15 June 2014 13:42
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I've recently acquired a second-hand D3S with 28k actuations for £1,500 and its in immaculate condition. I was leaning towards a new D800 for the same price but saw the D3S advertised and the guy agreed to let it go for the same money.

The D2 was an excellent camera in its day but low light performance is far behind the current standard.

MissTy Moore is off-line
16 June 2014 06:27
MisstyMoore
Model
MisstyMoore
Essex
Chelmsford

I would prb say a Nikon D7100 or a D7000, both great in low light, depending how many lens in DX format you have you could go FX, D610, the low light on a D610 is awesome at this price point..

Shawn Barker is off-line
16 June 2014 07:39
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

If you already have a range of lenses in the f1.4-f2.8 region then I would consider upgrading the body. If not,or the lenses that you have are not FX compatible then I would consider upgrading the lenses.

ICONIC :P is off-line
16 June 2014 07:50
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

i mostly use a 1.4f 50mmg prime so i definatly need a better body as the low light quality is Iconic is a naughty person to be blunt over 1000iso
pissing purestorm off since 2009

Neil Anderson is off-line
16 June 2014 08:42
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Iconic
i mostly use a 1.4f 50mmg prime so i definatly need a better body as the low light quality is stolenfaces is a naughty person to be blunt over 1000iso

It didn't tolerate under exposure well but otherwise I would say the D300 was pretty fair in low light, much better than D200, a bit worse (1 or maybe 2 stops) than D700/D800 when correctly exposed, but a lot worse if under exposed.
I usually used it at 3200 in B&W. I think the default smearing (noise-reduction setting) was rather aggressive but if you switch that off....

Incidentally, the D2 wasn't/isn't full frame
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Matt . is off-line
17 June 2014 02:22
MLP
Photographer

Nottinghamshire
Nr Nottingham

Quote from stolenfaces
.....  It didn't tolerate under exposure well but otherwise I would say the D300 was pretty fair in low light, much better than D200, a bit worse (1 or maybe 2 stops) than D700/D800 when correctly exposed, but a lot worse if under exposed ......

Totally agree, still have a couple of D300 and think is was one of the most under rated bodies that Nikon ever made - a real workhorse for me and never had a real problem in low light

---------------------------------------------- Images are not taken they are created

Pict is off-line
17 June 2014 06:01
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

If you decide on a d7000 i have a mint hardly used one you could have at a good price

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Ashleighmckenzie Carliegomez24 kacie REDXXX
antoinewynn Cheshunt83 davewilliams david1500 Dolayley flawless_photo gunnergraham gwentman humphries hylander iestyn jackw jonnywoo Jph1954 kalixte mike0048 nickdandalos orca_photography Pendragon140994 rscott360 Spiritofwales stevegosh Studio1 tonycsm