Reminder Secure

Fee advice for architectural photography??

marlham is off-line
04 June 2014 12:13
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Get Frameworks to give you a quote for doing the job then add 15% administration fee.

Laurence Power is off-line
05 June 2014 03:18
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Assuming that you want the job and you want to distance yourself from your full time job, why not offer to do the job in your spare time (holiday) then charge a commercial rate of £5-600.00 per day? If you get it you can be sure that you are getting it because you are both known and trusted.

A shift/tilt lens will certainly reduce the amount of manipulation required, but Photoshop can sort it out if required.

I think that the first thing to do is really discover what your client requires, trendy art style shots, pure architectural stuff possibly with progress work as well, again this meeting can be in your own time to avoid any conflict.
Laurence J. Power

05 June 2014 07:13
Ron_H
Photographer

Thanks for all your comments guys.

I should have clarified that the photos will be done in my spare time (not during my normal working hours).
The majority of projects to be photographed are bespoke houses ranging in value from around £750k - £1.5m, with the odd contemporary extension.

£500/day sounds ok to me but I know he'll be after a fixed fee rather than a daily rate so I was thinking of around £1000 as there's probably a few days work in total. That doesn't seem too unreasonable does it??

I will be using a Sigma 12-24mm with my Canon 6D and using Photoshop to correct any distortion.

I was even thinking of using some of the photos to create maybe a water colour effect of some of the buildings and seeing if the owner would be interested in buying this as a canvas print, so there's potential to make a little extra money there also.

Cliff Chester is off-lineGold Member
05 June 2014 09:05
cliffc
Photographer
cliffc
London

Hi If you already work for the company. I take it you are not a professional Photographer (this no reflection on your photography there are very good none professionals photographers around.) and your boss probably cant afford one, Its depends on you how much you want the job if you go to high more than likely your boss will refuse and not ask you again. If it is in your working hours then you getting paid any way you need to claim expenses. If it is in your spare time then it is up to you A starting point is 25£ plus per hour this also includes the time you spend on the prints if going to the shop or on the computer, also include travelling time. Hope this helps

marlham is off-line
05 June 2014 10:23
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

One of my clients has recently paid a photographer £922 to photograph one of his care homes - essentially a modern four-bed detached house. Inside and out - the images are clean but nothing special - typical of the kind of thing you see on an up-market estate agent's website. He's used 12 images in total across his website and other marketing material. The photographer was in attendance at the property for no more than 3 hours.

Paul Riddell is off-line
12 June 2014 12:31
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Personally I'd say the sigma 12-24 is a very poor choice of lens. The distortion from that lens is enormous. Even when corrected it still looks wrong.

Most architectural photographers will be using tilt shift or even a movements arrangement.

If you just use a 'regular' lens then the 17-40L is pretty much the accepted lens.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
12 June 2014 18:23
grahamsphotography
Photographer
grahamsphotography
West Sussex
Chichester

Quote from FrameworksMedia
£500/day + traveling expenses (inc overnight stay for long distances).

Price varies upon style of shots required but if you're doing the job right then you'll have the relevant wide angle and tilt shift lenses or need to hire them. Be prepared to offer a few 360 virtual or stitches for the upper price bracket. You'll need to process HDR for internal shots if they include windows. External shots can be a case of waiting for the right weather/day/time. i.e shoot during golden hours, so it's not just a case of turning up and clicking away.

However, they're probably after a 'budget' job on the cheap which is why they've asked you rather than hire an experienced professional, so be prepared to quote £50 and turn up with a crop sensor - lol!

Bout right, I used to charge £600 a day back in the 80s, I lived in the countryside and the rates were far less.

But I did have all the correct medium format gear, shift lenses and powerful tunsten lights.

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
12 June 2014 18:28
grahamsphotography
Photographer
grahamsphotography
West Sussex
Chichester

Quote from Ron_H
 I will be using a Sigma 12-24mm with my Canon 6D and using Photoshop to correct any distortion. I was even thinking of using some of the photos to create maybe a water colour effect of some of the buildings and seeing if the owner would be interested in buying this as a canvas print, so there's potential to make a little extra money there also.

No, No, No a 12-24 will give you far to much distortion to retify in photoshop.

Stitch images together if you have to.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura miles Tashaholz
2webmedia antoinewynn Auctioneer BOBREEVES Cheshunt83 dave@studio99 david1500 geoffmarchant Ianmcculloch James7799 Ladiesman paddywhack paulfcm16 philippahh Rhadamanthus rod_m99 WellandPhoto Willjamieson
kerandastudio2