Reminder Secure

Fee advice for architectural photography??

04 June 2014 07:05
Ron_H
Photographer

Hi guys...I work for an architects and my boss asked me to give him a quote for photographing some of our completed projects to update our website.
Having never charged anyone for photography of any kind I don't really know what would be a reasonable amount. He's probably expecting around 20-30 images of each job (to include internal and external pics) edited where necessary.

What do you think I should charge per project?

Shawn Barker is off-line
04 June 2014 07:58
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

£500/day + traveling expenses (inc overnight stay for long distances).

Price varies upon style of shots required but if you're doing the job right then you'll have the relevant wide angle and tilt shift lenses or need to hire them. Be prepared to offer a few 360 virtual or stitches for the upper price bracket. You'll need to process HDR for internal shots if they include windows. External shots can be a case of waiting for the right weather/day/time. i.e shoot during golden hours, so it's not just a case of turning up and clicking away.

However, they're probably after a 'budget' job on the cheap which is why they've asked you rather than hire an experienced professional, so be prepared to quote £50 and turn up with a crop sensor - lol!

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
04 June 2014 08:18
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

I live next door to an architectural modelmaker. He recently told me that the very best architectural photographers are on about £1000 a day. (Plus expenses no doubt.) But these are at the very top of their profession. They can probably be counted on one hand? But they will certainly deliver. I hope this helps.
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Shawn Barker is off-line
04 June 2014 08:30
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quote from carshaltonkev
I live next door to an architectural modelmaker. He recently told me that the very best architectural photographers are on about £1000 a day. (Plus expenses no doubt.) But these are at the very top of their profession. They can probably be counted on one hand? But they will certainly deliver. I hope this helps.

I guess it depends whether your designing cathedrals or housing extensions with their associated budgets. With ref to the OP, I don't think you've really supplied the relevant information if you are after putting in a competitive quote. It's not down to the number of photos supplied or 'jobs', but your time and expertise, skill and knowledge.

Try to find out the style and quality of photos that they are after first.

Paul Hodson is off-line
04 June 2014 08:34
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from FrameworksMedia
£500/day + traveling expenses (inc overnight stay for long distances).

Price varies upon style of shots required but if you're doing the job right then you'll have the relevant wide angle and tilt shift lenses or need to hire them. Be prepared to offer a few 360 virtual or stitches for the upper price bracket. You'll need to process HDR for internal shots if they include windows. External shots can be a case of waiting for the right weather/day/time. i.e shoot during golden hours, so it's not just a case of turning up and clicking away.

However, they're probably after a 'budget' job on the cheap which is why they've asked you rather than hire an experienced professional, so be prepared to quote £50 and turn up with a crop sensor - lol!

As you are presumably already being paid for your other work then if you do the photography in your normal working hours he might think £500 is taking the mph is a naughty person .

I tend to feel the last quoted paragraph is a more likely scenario!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
04 June 2014 08:38
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

If already working for the firm I'd say time and a half or double time (day rate) for going out & simply taking the photos on a weekend would be fair (as that's what I'd typically assume is the rate for weekend work), and expenses such as train tickets etc. should be paid. I think asking for more while you're in their employ would be seen as taking the RedChecker is a naughty person .

Obviously you don't need to work the whole day but the boss doesn't know that.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Shawn Barker is off-line
04 June 2014 09:55
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quote from mph
As you are presumably already being paid for your other work then if you do the photography in your normal working hours he might think £500 is taking the FrameworksMedia is a naughty person .

I tend to feel the last quoted paragraph is a more likely scenario!

If it's the latter scenario, I'd be wary of your job as it won't be long before they have the tea lady designing your clients work because they're cheaper - lol!

Profile Pictures is off-line
04 June 2014 09:56
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Checkers probably right I'd say, bearing in mind you'd need to have (or hire) tilt shift lens' for really good architectural pictures. Wide angles generally make for big distortion which may look cool, but isn't exactly accurate.

Shawn Barker is off-line
04 June 2014 10:05
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quote from profilepictures
Checkers probably right I'd say, bearing in mind you'd need to have (or hire) tilt shift lens' for really good architectural pictures. Wide angles generally make for big distortion which may look cool, but isn't exactly accurate.

Who said it's entirely accurate especially if the photos are to be used in sales to depict space and openess, particularly indoors?

Profile Pictures is off-line
04 June 2014 10:39
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I can't be bothered to explain.

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
michellehush
Davie46 gerry99111 gwentman James7799 rscott360 thelynchfella tonycsm