Reminder Secure

Green Screen Video

This thread is being watched by 2 people
29 May 2014 18:39
Catuaba
Photographer

Anyone know the best software for green screen video work, ie. Taking a video of a person speaking for example against a green screen and then putting them in another environment speaking for example. I've seen lots of cheesy free smallish programmes but what's the pro choice? Eventually I would be looking at software to edit video with too so if there is a programme that does both I might prefer to get a package.
If any video nuts have any examples of their work too that would be good. Thanks.

rtistik is off-line
30 May 2014 01:21
rtistik
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

Adobe Premiere Pro

KHV is off-line
30 May 2014 02:18
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Adobe Premier CC or from CC6 does you very well but it's part of Adobe Cloud and you might not want to pay the monthly sub fee but if you do, then you can have Photoshop/Lightroom/After Effects/Illustrator etc

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/creativecloud.html

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 May 2014 02:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Sony Vegas Pro can do it allegedly (there's tutorials on Youtube). A suitable alternative to Adobe Premiere if you prefer a one-off payment for software, especially if you don't intend to upgrade regularly (and thus save a fortune over Adobe's extortionate pricing system).

Here's a video of Vegas showing it being done
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

30 May 2014 07:56
Catuaba
Photographer

Thanks I will take a look. I did look into the new photoshop at one point on a monthly basis, as im currently on a full package of cs3 extended which has always served well but I didn't really see the need for cc and sharing things around etc. I don't fully understand what cc is but from my understanding its so you can share the created content between devices? As I only use a desktop pc I wouldn't want or need that. Adobe premier I will look into though for learning video.

Simon Chan is off-line
30 May 2014 13:45
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

What camera or video format codec are you using for your chroma key work?

ChrisS is off-line
30 May 2014 17:36
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

My job is partly in this field, creating animations for estate agents. While Sony Vegas is ok with Chromakey I find Premiere or After Effects to be far more efficient. Premiere CS6 it's till floating around and you don't need to pay a monthly subscription. Alternatively if anyone in your family is involved with education you can buy the student edition at a heavily reduced price, with the same features as the full version.

Example of my work with green screen and Premiere in a commercial capacity:

http://www.targetpropertyservices.tv

Oh, and I always render out in .mp4 at 25fps for online videos, at around 3-4mb per second. It depends what you want the video for really. If it's not online then render out uncompressed (or as high spec as you can, 12mb p/s is reasonable in .mov, and full HD (1920x1080).

30 May 2014 17:46
Catuaba
Photographer

Like the vid, that's the sort of thing I meant, 5d mkiii would be what im using unless I can raise funds for a canon XA10. I've struggled greatly indoors with lighting with the 5d. Two halogen worklights, the type you see on construction sites have worked best but they get hella hot!
Im not a fan of cranking iso up even with the mkiii, I rarely go past 100. I find some of the footage is a little oversaturated but generally if the lighting is right then its sharp and clear.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 May 2014 17:55
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

If you're disappointed with indoor video on the 5D you'll be in for a shock with the XA10.

As for over saturated footage, you should tweak the camera's settings for low contrast & saturation to then correct in post.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Chan is off-line
31 May 2014 02:16
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from Catuaba
Like the vid, that's the sort of thing I meant, 5d mkiii would be what im using unless I can raise funds for a canon XA10. I've struggled greatly indoors with lighting with the 5d. Two halogen worklights, the type you see on construction sites have worked best but they get hella hot!
Im not a fan of cranking iso up even with the mkiii, I rarely go past 100. I find some of the footage is a little oversaturated but generally if the lighting is right then its sharp and clear.

For chroma key work getting the lighting of the subject to match the intended background is very important particularly so if you are using compressed 8 bit 4.2.0 files from Canon dSLRs. I would consider the Raw ML hack for your 5DIII since it will give you cleaner higher quality files and more latitude in post to fine tune.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Ebbrell1991 indiaxxx kacie sarahlou73 Winterlilly
bbphotos cliffc dazglam ellessephotography Jyp Kjoservices Ladiesman Mharris nickdandalos p4pFetography parafotos psn Steveharratt Thunder_Photos Willjamieson