Sean is off-lineGold Member
18 May 2014 06:19
Exodus
Photographer
Exodus
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

hi

I just wondered what other members thought of my profile.

like everyone i am looking to improve.

any thoughts to help with this would be much appreciated.

personally, i think my work lacks a creative edge and flair so any ideas on this would also be great.

Sean

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
18 May 2014 06:46
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Apart from the small number of head shots and a couple of full length images, virtually all your images are 3/4 length with not a lot of variation in viewpoint angle or placement of the subject in the frame.
The lighting is generally a safe diffused style.
It would be good for you to experiment a lot more with taking angles and viewpoints and lighting situations, just go for it a bit more and don't be afraid to try ideas that might fail!

Paul Jones is off-line
18 May 2014 07:02
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Exodus
personally, i think my work lacks a creative edge and flair so any ideas on this would also be great.

Hi Sean

It's brave of you to put yourself up for critique in such an honest way.

My first thought on your portfolio is that there are too many photos that are very similar.  I think the portfolio would be stronger if you stripped it back to maybe 10 of the strongest images for now and delete the rest.  You can then build it up as you go.

My second thought is that it is the portfolio of someone who needs a much better understanding of lighting and exposure.  The studio shots look either underexposed or overexposed, and the outside shots are flat and dull (as though you have taken them at the dullest part of the day).  There is no vibrancy to them.

The third thought is that you need to work on bringing more 'character' out of the models you work with and thinking about what 'story' you are trying to convey with your images.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't come across as harsh.

I'm no expert myself.  I'm still learning every day.  Just saying what I see.

I think you have good potential, but need to put a lot of practice in.

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Kevin Wilson is off-line
18 May 2014 07:16
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Hi Shaun.
               If you find yourself lacking for ideas, offer you models something to work with by way of props, the only interaction in your images is between model and camera.
Encourage your models to intereact more with the surroundings instead of just posing in front of the scene for the camera.The shot of the girl with white hat and glasses is one of the better images in the profile and should give you an idea of what I am getting at.
Good luck and stick with it.

18 May 2014 07:58
Exodus
Photographer
Exodus
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your comments.
On the location shoots I have been using a flash. Do you think this is s mistake ? Just wondering if this may bo why the images lack depth and vibrancy? I would be grateful for your advice on this.

Sean

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
18 May 2014 08:08
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Hi Sean, definitely doing without flash, for now, adding flash-well -in location shoots needs a lot of practice to keep good depth and 3D quality. Really study how the natural light is working and how it changes the appearance of the subject, then try subtle use of reflectors and build up the image.

Profile Pictures is off-line
19 May 2014 03:54
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

It's not a bad portfolio, and tends towards tasteful I think, but it is a bit bland and generic. I get a sensation that you rely on models for pose and positioning rather than give direction, or that your direction leads to rather samey pictures. Whichever is true needs to alter if your style is to develop artistically.

I dislike the flash stuff, though such pictures have a place, you're smashing out all the context and narrative here and making interesting subjects appear as no more than a catalogue of models physical and tattoo attributes, there's no story or personality left.

Keep an eye on white balance, the studio shots have a tendency to be too red, shoot RAW and ensure the processing leaves a natural tone.

Get wider and think about composition, a common theme for new photographers is being too close all the time, it feels claustrophobic and there's no space for your setting or story. On a positive note, your model selection is interesting but those highly personalised tattooed models aren't differentiated much once they hit your portfolio.

19 May 2014 06:29
Exodus
Photographer
Exodus
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Thanks everyone.

Plenty to be working on then!
Still not too downhearted i love photography and if you think my portfolio is bad now you should have seen it when i first started a few years ago!

One problem i have and i guess is true of many of us amateurs is the restricted opportunity to shoot with models. This is partly due to family and work commitments but also financial restraints. Hiring models and studios is an expensive business. It's difficult to get TFP work when one has a mediocre portfolio but then it is difficult to improve ones portfolio without the experience. A bit of catch 22.

Still i will keep plodding along as long as i continue to love to shoot.

I will try and get back individually to all the kind people who took the time out to give me their advice.

Firstly, big thanks to StNeots who sent me an email containing my images with ideas about how each may be improved.

Sean

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
michellehush
Davie46 gerry99111 gwentman James7799 rscott360 thelynchfella tonycsm