Reminder Secure

Faulty lens - Repair or replace?

David Hunt is off-line
01 May 2014 16:44
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

I have just been given an 8 year old Tamron f2.8 28-75 lens that works for between 60-200 shots and then it starts making screeching sounds! Sometimes, when I connect it to the camera, it does not work at all.

I knew about the problem, and the lens was free, and I wanted to give it a try with my 5D.

I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with getting a lens repaired. And, should that be the route I take. Or, do I go shopping for a new lens (eg. WEX have one for £359)?

HowardJ is off-line
01 May 2014 17:05
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

You could always ask for a quote for the repair. If its too high ask them not to do the work and return the lens. You then look into buy a new one.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 May 2014 01:10
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'd say replace.

Even if you do get it fixed for a reasonable-ish cost (say £100-150), there's always the chance something else could go wrong. It's not a premium lens and it's also quite old, whose two alone would put me off investing in it (although on the plus side it's given you a test-drive of sorts as to what that category of lens would be like).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Beasley is off-line
02 May 2014 03:28
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Probably best to replace. If you do get an estimate for repair make sure you won't be charged for providing that estimate if you choose not to accept it.

David Hunt is off-line
02 May 2014 04:30
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

I have just got off my backside and found the Tamron UK service site:

http://www.tamron.eu/uk/service/product-assistance.html

And, so I'll send it to them. My budget is a bit more restrained than it used to, sadly.

If not, then I will buy a new one. It is just so much better, when it works, than my Tamron 28-200 lump.

Thank you, guys, for your assistance.

37 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE Carliegomez24 chosin ElleLaura Hann kategrimsby lynnesel vellocet Vickey wrenstar
activecreations ad360photo ansonphotography belmez2000 bradder ch_mon clearview_photography DJ200 gazzer59 GGDP_Photography Ladiesman markeos50d michaelangelo mlp nickdandalos orca_photography rcbb rscott360 Spiritofwales stevegosh templeimaging TheChrisS Thunder_Photos TimatAwe TinDolls tms
Jonesy2107