Act of Valour

w4pictures is off-line
22 April 2014 04:14
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Affordable is an unusual choice of word to describe the Alexa or any professional "film" camera. I know a couple of people with their own Alexas but I've known many with their own Aatons, Arri SRs, Sony 800s and so on. The difference is that the Alexa is not a documentary camera. It needs a host of add-ons, lenses and a crew to operate it, none of which are affordable at an individual level. So these cameras are hired to film and TV dramas by the busy DoPs who own them..

In contrast, given the right conditions, you can squeeze a decent image from a 5D or C300 for much less. However, looking at the OPs pictures, you would get several 5Ds for the cost of each prime lens shown.

The Amira is interesting, fairly heavy and nearly finished, but again, its just a bit if kit to admire without the lenses, matte box, follow focus, monitor, tripod and all the bits that make it usable but much less affordable.

Simon Chan is off-line
23 April 2014 13:31
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
Again Simon, with 4K you're missing my point about the cameras being 'affordable'.

And as for shooting video/film with a 6D, I don't profess to being a film shooter. But if I were, and were to consider the amount I've spend on stills equipment (lighting, lenses etc.) something like one of Canon's C series cameras or the Amira would be within an affordable range to me.

If you feel the need to make digs then go ahead. I'll leave this discussion now.

Steve, my reference to what you said about "4k" and "Affordability" as people can clearly see have been seperate.
First I made a point about you claiming the Alexa and Amira being "affordable", then I made a seperate comment about consumer 4k as being partly about marketing drive to sell 4k TV and that while it produces very nice footage it also produces some of the worse rolling shutter and that is something to bear in mind.

Simon Chan is off-line
23 April 2014 13:43
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

As W4Pictures said if you are purchasing a high end production camera you are buying into a system. The Amira body alone cost in excess of £21k and that does not include lens mount, base plate, etc, which again is not cheap. Invest in expensive lenses to do it justice. It also record on CFast, a 120gb Cfast card costing around £1k a pop and then you need a suitable computer and software to cut your footage. You likely looking at a best part of £30k plus minimum just to get started and ideally you probably need a crew to operate and they would need paying for their service.

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Craigchesham Gothic_Kitty sarahjane1
act1on Dalesdesigns Dave@studio99 Daveinsurrey digimarx djb1 kimsandman2 laurencejpower lukaszmarcinkowski nickdandalos Roundhouse rscott360 tonycsm whitehammerclarke